Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > General Scrapping

Notices

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (27)
    Quote Originally Posted by BevS97
    I don't disagree with shopping around, but to expect a professional photographer to charge the same for a print as Boots (which is what the opening post says) is unrealistic.
    Just for the record - I wouldn't for ONE minute expect to pay Boots prices for a professional photo - nor was I implying in any way that that's what they should charge, and my opening post doesn't say what is implied in the quote.

All I was trying to do was point out that the retail cost of a print and frame of the appropriate size is around £2.50 - after all Boots and the frame shop are making a profit on their goods otherwise they wouldn't still be there! (presumably somewhere like Venture do their own printing and get their frames wholesale too. Given the fact that they charge £75 (after discount) for something that costs not very much, they are charging their customers an incredibly high premium for their services - especially as they charge a session fee. Mark up is fine in any business - rip off is something else.

Agreed the photos were wonderful, but they must lose a LOT of sales due to most people being unable to afford more than one or two prints - I know I for one couldn't afford £150 for the 2 extra prints (possibly more) which I would have bought had they been even say £30 each. As it is - they aren't getting any more than the original payment for the voucher - hence why I say its their loss.

I just got a reprint of my wedding photo done by the photographer (one of the most sought after photographers in Northern Ireland)) and a 10x8 colour print in a mount from him only cost £35
    Last edited by CarolynUK; 18-06-2006 at 10:33 AM.
    Carolyn

and her cheeky little monkey! Natbag's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (26)
    My mum and step dad are professional photographers, award winning at regional and national level. They no longer do studio sittings, just concentrate on weddings now, but up to a year ago they only charged £30 sitting fee and then reprints from £7.99 for a 7x5. You could buy them framed or unframed and as many or as few as you liked. They are gorgeous, absolutely stunning, they are both very talented and the photos are so much better than any we had done at Olan Mills (similar set up to Venture). They still get my ds in the studio for regular portraits or out in the garden like on this LO: http://www.ukscrappers.co.uk/photopo...0&ppuser=14835
    How places like Venture/Olan Mills can get away with their prices is beyond me. Do me a favour girls, and yourself, find a nice reputable independent photographer instead, it's much nicer, much cheaper and much more flexible with no hard sell.
    Natalie x
    Member of Doodlin' Daisies team & Green Buttons house
    My Blog
    365 days

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (3)
    Did you know Kodak are behing venture????

We had a sitting 2 years ago. We wanted a 4 generation photo when Dd1 was born & didn't want the classic poses in the pix I'd seen. I was prepared to pay for the 1 photo & 1 of us(DH, me & DD1) & that was it. My Gran said we could have what we liked - we didn't though as the 1 I really wanted was £750 & I really couldn't justify it!!! We got some fanatasic photos & we were considering going again because the style is so good (now DD2 is here) but the cost is extremely high. I would expect to pay a lot but IKWYM about the very high cost. Now Laura's alternative (have just checked out site & prices) are to me much more realistic & I'm sure we'd get similar results!
    We had a top NE photographer at our wedding (almost 20 years ago) & his costs were no where near Venture's (taking into account the timelapse).
    Jo

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (33)
    i go olan mills and buy a family years sittings........
    its £25 for 4 sittings and a free 8x10 pic at each sitting then the option to buy more......
    i get the free one each time and last time spent £80 on 2 7x5 and 4 3x2 pics.
    i wouldnt touch venture as they are too much money i love olan mills
    left UKS

Chataholic need to scrap more:-) keltikween's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (61)
    While I have to agree that Venture seem to be very expensive, I think there standard of work is fantastic. They seem to employ very talented photographers as everyone I know who has had a session, always buys at least one pic, even if it is the small one. Thye all say that the Venture one is their favourite pic ever. Now it has got to be worth it for that eh???
    Just stick to yuor budget and buy what you can afford.
    Yuo can always get it blown up anyway yourself later.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (5)
    We had some brilliant picures taken by Funky Fotos, they were a very similar style to Venture but a fraction of the price. It was arranged by the PTA as Funky Foto give a percentage of what is spent to the school.I reordered an extra photo a couple of weeks after the sessions and it was delivered the next day - a brilliant service

AKA Julie, Joolz, Jules, Jools and Oi! scrap-happyuk's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (36)
    My friend and her family had their SECOND Venture vist last month (they are loaded) and they asked what the average spend was per client/sitting....go on, have a guess...

£1,300!!!!!!!!!!!!!

B****y Hell! I would rather give my hard earned money to an independant like Kirsty or Cheryl any day of the week.

EVERYONE SHOULD SUPPORT SMALL BUSINESS - far batter deal all round, and proper personal attention and service.

SCRAPBOOKSISTERS DESIGN TEAM MEMBER
    MY BLOG

Spanish Papercrafter paulapascual's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    I never heard of venture before reading this thread, so I had to go and check the website. I actually think they are not that great, quite mediocre to be honest. My father is an artist and most of his friends are either painters or art photographers, and to me this venture style photography is nothing personal,they all look the same doesn't show the person who is photographed personality at all.
    If I had the money the only one that I would like to have would be Tara Whitney or Kirsty.
    Actually, I have had a nother look in the venture website, and some of the "story" portaits are quite good, but still not enough to charge that kind of prices.
    Last edited by paulapascual; 19-06-2006 at 10:40 AM.

View Gallery

Another for smaller businesses here! or use the money to go and buy your own digital camera and do a photography course to learn to do the same thing
    plus how many families have the same pose as you do in pictures?
    We went for a shoot as it was free becuase the photographer was training... we got a big discount and a free 10x8 print unframed, i bought two more 10x8s too and it came to £140.... even that was much too pricey in comparison to feelgood photos(whos picture i've seen are amazing!)
    I personally think its unfair to take so many nice pictures of a family, and them charge those kind of prices.. becuase of course you want to keep them all! (hence why they make so much money) and then the circle goes on becuase everyone say what a lovely photo it is... and then they want some done too...
    darn these big companies!
    if you have to go for venture... look out for trainee photographers and get a big discount... otherwise.. i wouldnt bother!
    badly updated blog (last update : 13/3/08)

View Gallery

alternatively get a large white peice of paper (the bigger the better... maybe tape a few together on the reverse side) put it up in the garden on a cloudy day... and get the kids to jump about it front of it.
    take the picture without flash, and then turn it high key in photoshop....(if you don't have it, someone on UKS will do it for you...including me)
    with practise you won't be far off venture... and you can get them printed any size you like... and you can say 'yes i took that lovely photograph'...
    http://www.ukscrappers.co.uk/photopo...00&ppuser=7398
    http://www.ukscrappers.co.uk/photopo...00&ppuser=7398
    badly updated blog (last update : 13/3/08)

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (31)
    [QUOTE=julieM]Just seen pics taken at Olan Mills of friends dd and they are fabulous and not to expensive either.Had my childrens pics taken there in the past and was pleased but they seem even better now[QUOTE=julieM]

Have to disagree!! I had a 'watch me grow' plan when DS was younger and the photograher(who was a skinny 'kid' in jeans that were too big for him, with tonnes of dreadlocks!!), was absolutely brilliant! Got exeactly what I wanted!
    After the plan finished I was forever bombarded with phone calls asking if I wanted another plan! I resisted for about a year, then the call came to say they had revamped the studio, and now everything was digital, so I thought 'why not!'
    I bought another plan, and had the first sitting about a month ago!
    The photographer has gone, replaced by a 'schoolgirl'! She asked what I wanted, and I said 'something fun'.
    What I got was 12 headshots, two with DS doing a starjump and four sitting on a step leaning backwards. The whole session took 10 minutes!!
    Then the whole hard sell began, and it really was HARD SELL!!!
    We ended up with our free 8 by 10 and another mixed picture with pictures I could've done at home!

I'm so cross with them I'm not even sure I want to go back for the other 3 sessions. Can I go to another studio??

Don't bother with Olan Mills you will be disappointed!
    Venture on the other hand are great, but agree the prices are scandolous (we bought 2 8 by 10 when DS was 8 weeks old, and they are by far my fave pictures! Just wish we could afford to go back!!!!

AKA Julie, Joolz, Jules, Jools and Oi! scrap-happyuk's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (36)
    [QUOTE=leigh11][QUOTE=julieM]Just seen pics taken at Olan Mills of friends dd and they are fabulous and not to expensive either.Had my childrens pics taken there in the past and was pleased but they seem even better now
    Quote Originally Posted by julieM

Have to disagree!! I had a 'watch me grow' plan when DS was younger and the photograher(who was a skinny 'kid' in jeans that were too big for him, with tonnes of dreadlocks!!), was absolutely brilliant! Got exeactly what I wanted!
    After the plan finished I was forever bombarded with phone calls asking if I wanted another plan! I resisted for about a year, then the call came to say they had revamped the studio, and now everything was digital, so I thought 'why not!'
    I bought another plan, and had the first sitting about a month ago!
    The photographer has gone, replaced by a 'schoolgirl'! She asked what I wanted, and I said 'something fun'.
    What I got was 12 headshots, two with DS doing a starjump and four sitting on a step leaning backwards. The whole session took 10 minutes!!
    Then the whole hard sell began, and it really was HARD SELL!!!
    We ended up with our free 8 by 10 and another mixed picture with pictures I could've done at home!

I'm so cross with them I'm not even sure I want to go back for the other 3 sessions. Can I go to another studio??

Don't bother with Olan Mills you will be disappointed!
    Venture on the other hand are great, but agree the prices are scandolous (we bought 2 8 by 10 when DS was 8 weeks old, and they are by far my fave pictures! Just wish we could afford to go back!!!!
    Yep Lea - I am sure the vouchers are transferrable...just phone them and tell them you were that dissapointed you don't want to waste any more of your time going back...they will make amends because they need your business and a good reputation...go on, phone and moan!!

SCRAPBOOKSISTERS DESIGN TEAM MEMBER
    MY BLOG

View Gallery

Fallen for the Venture Trap

About 6 Months Before my baby was born I fell for the £27 Voucher scam you get £100 worth of pictures. We waited until baby could sit unaided and went for our hour session. It was lovely. So much fun and a very professional enviroment, both girls loved it.

About twos after they called us back to their comfortable studio to show us our stunning photos. You sit down in a plush chair with a lovey drink with chocolate on the side. Soft music playing in the background. Unfortunately a went back alone to view bacause they flash about 100 fantastic pictures of your emotional attachment. You see us women have this gathering instinct and well I went there to gather. They told me from the £100 voucher £75 went to the photographer which left us with £25. They have NOTHING to sell me at that price. You cut down the pictures to your favourates. she then shows you different frames and picture layouts. You now have now managed to become emotionally involved and have chosen the perfect set of pictures. then of course (since they wont let you have the negatives) you want something for the grandparents the cheapest item at Venture is a tiny black frame £75. Before you know it you have signed a credit agreement because £35 per month seems like nothing. your £3 500 pictures now cost £3800 and Im the idiot........and they are brilliant brain washing marketers and I do have perfect family "art" pictures on in two rooms.

Member of Indecisives - Organizer of Mj's Crop Circle Crops MJ's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (4)
    I have just had a fabulous photo shoot done with a company called Breathepictures, the link is on my blogg, I didn't come away with a photo, but did come away with a disc of 30 photographs and joint copyright to them so I can have them printed when I want, use them on my LO's etc and all for £299. The photo's are amazing, again check out my blogg. They were realy friendly, no sales pitch and took the exact photos I wanted.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (4)
    To be perfectly honest Leigh- it is a different photographer every time I go in, so it may be worth checking if they have changed