Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > Cardmaking

Notices

Ideas for an 80th birthday card

It is dh's Grandad's 80th birthday on Saturday and i need to make a card but i'm stumped. Has anyone got any suggestions? They would be much appreciated, especially as Grandad wants to know when i'm going to make it

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (20)
    was there a interesting job/travel in the past you could maybe do it around make it personal? looking back onto what he has acheived in his life, maybe even a collage of people places - scrapbook style?
    A x

Chocoholic and craftaholic
    Near Milton Keynes but soon to be New Zealand!
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (4)
    This can be a hard one, my grandma was 90 last year and I did her a jumbo card with her grandchildren all made up from Sizzix diecuts, relating to the children's interests so she knew who they all were - my daughter as a pink ballerina, my son as a footballer and my other son, who was still little, as a toddler playing with a train - everyone loved it.

The other lovely card she had was very simple, white handmade paper, stitched onto white thick felt like material, with silver stamping/stitching with Happy 90th Birthday - it was so simple but very lovely.

I am sure what ever you make he will love it as it is from you!

Enjoy making it and please post us a finished pic

Kay x

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (58)
    My Mum is 80 next year and I have been planning a card already for a couple of months - keep changing my mind though as I go along. The current prototype is a sheet of 12 x 12 cardstock folded into an accordian style card with little pockets for tags at the bottom. I have scanned in, resized and improved lots of old photos and am now in the process of seeing what fits where on the card, together with tiny embellies, flowers, words etc., so that it will be a "mini album card". I have a lovely buckle embellie which I am sticking on the front and threading organza ribbon through to tie right round the card and finish in a bow at the side. I am sure it will bring a tear to her eye, bringing back old memories.

It is slightly trickier for a man but you could still adopt the same principle - old photos, mention particular items that interest him etc., it depends really on what he likes. I would love to see the finished article. Good luck!

Thanks for all the fab ideas I should have started thinking about this months ago but it's snuck up on me! Am waiting 'til he's out and going to have a dig through some old photos & stuff. Hopefully something will inspire me - really like the idea of turning the card into a mini album type card.

Will post a pic - if i finish it in time

Dedicated Scrapper Sharon Betts's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (13)
    I was going to suggest an accordian album as well. If you don't find the photos you want, you could just use a page for each decade, and do major news/events, such as corronation of queen for 50's, moon landing in 60's, births of children/grandchildren etc.
    hth, Sharon.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (24)
    Another and probably quicker alternative you could make is a "year you were born" type card. Then perhaps do the more personal accorsdion version as a (belated) present?

Rosemary

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon Betts
    I was going to suggest an accordian album as well. If you don't find the photos you want, you could just use a page for each decade, and do major news/events, such as corronation of queen for 50's, moon landing in 60's, births of children/grandchildren etc.
    hth, Sharon.
    Ooh, that's a good idea! Might be less time consuming seeing as i only really have a couple of days to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by dozyrosy
    Another and probably quicker alternative you could make is a "year you were born" type card. Then perhaps do the more personal accordion version as a (belated) present?

Rosemary
    Think i'm going to go with this idea - i've found loads of photos and memorabilia in a box that i'm going to put together for him as a belated present

Just wanted to say thanks for all the lovely ideas for cards for Grandad's birthday! I ended up making a collage style card of some of his fave things & he loved it

He's going to let me have all his old photos and stuff so i can start work on an album for him - can't wait to get started!