Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > General Scrapping

Notices

The dream is in the making! donswish's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

Big shots/ tagalong help!

Hi i have some money to spend with ellison can anyone tell me what it is best to go for?
    I wouldnt be buying alphabets as i have a craftrobo at home it really is mainly for using at crops. Is the bigshot alot bigger than the sissex, Or would the tag along be a good bet! I would probably be interested in dies like flowers, bookplates ones that could be used again and again.
    Also im a bit confused as to which dies work with what!
    Many thanks Donnax

Nanny to five horrors make that 7 now lyn55's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (82)
    I have a Big Shot and I love it although it may be too heavy for taking to crops for me but I didn't buy mine to do that. If you have a car and can carry it not a problem. It cuts really well and I would go for the Big shot as you can use all the dies in it whereas you can only use certain dies in some of the other machines. I hope this helps.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (6)
    Yes it is a lot bigger and heavier, but as Lynn said it's super as you can use all the dies in it. The tag along would probably be lighter and much smaller if all you need it is to go to crops but limited to the small sizzlit dies. The big shot also cuts chipboard too. Have a look at some of the sites that sell dies and see what dies you would use the most. The only dies you can use in the tag along are the ellison thin cuts and the sizzlits. All the others you'd need the big shot.
    Some of the sizzlits dies are a bit small in size too so for bookplates, tags etc I wouldn't say they're much use for scrapbooking if that's all you'll have.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (106)
    If you want to cut bookplates and such, then I'm another would recommend getting the Big Shot. That way you can cut the bigger ones (Sizzix Originals or Ellison Thick Cuts) which are better suited to scrapping -- certainly if you scrap the 'bigger' sizes -- and cut them in mountboard/chipboard too.....

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (9)
    The Tagalong is handy, but very limited in what it will cut - only the 2 x 2" sizzlit or thincuts, or the 2 x 12" extended cut dies. They will only cut paper or light card - sometimes takes 2 passes to cut Bazzill

The BigShot is the Ellison replacement for the Sizzix (it's now also marketed as Sizzix BigKick, but that doesn't have any advantages and is white so apparently it gets grubby!) and cuts and embosses with all the Ellison and Sizzix dies / folders, and also apparently takes Cuttlebug dies. It will cut paper / cardstock / mountboard or chipboard so it's much more versatile.

It's quite compact but isn't exactly light! If that isn't a problem it's definitely a more versatile machine, so I'd go for it! I got mine for Christmas and I love it, and have used it more than my sidekick.
    Eileen

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (6)
    I have the sizzix, big shot and the tag a long and persoanlly I would buy the big shot as its the only one out of the 3 that uses the dies for sizzix/thin cuts/sizzlets/extended cuts/ebossing folders and also you can buy a convertor to emboss brass plates. As for carrying yes the tag along is lighter but the big shot is easier to carry than the sizzix.
    I dont go to crops so have not had to lug mine about.
    If you get an extension plate you can also cut the extended cuts which I find cut better in the big shot to the tag a long.
    Everyone has their own personal favourite/view, see if you can try one out before you buy.

The dream is in the making! donswish's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    Thanks ladies looks like it may well be a big shot then! cool that it cuts chipboard! wow chipboard bookplates here we come!

obsessing about paper is perfectly normal peachey-kins's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (13)
    ive been debating that too..my only issue is the cost
    XXX Steph XXX
    my blog ***flickr
    category stories dt

obsessing about paper is perfectly normal peachey-kins's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (13)
    i had the opportunity to buy one for £50 brand new but i ummed and ahhhed too much
    XXX Steph XXX
    my blog ***flickr
    category stories dt

I wish I was.....in Austria VAL DER RE's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (10)
    Yes, have to agree with the Big Shot, I also have a Sizzix and this seems heavier, don't know whether that is because the Big Shot has a carry handle on the top so is a bit easier to lug about, but it does cut really nice and you do have a bigger choice of dies as the normal sizzix won't take the Big Shot dies. Also had a sidekick (which is the same as the tag a long) until recently when I broke it trying to put something too thick through. I loved it but you are limited with the dies.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (17)
    Does it have to be Ellison/Sizzix??? as the Cuttlebug cuts the Ellison, Sizzix, QK, Bosscuts, Wizard dies etc and fold up to be VERY neat and compact and it cuts chipboard, did some book plates with it at the weekend
    xTanyax

Dedicated Scrapper lizzydripping's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (25)
    You can cut any retail make of die on the Big Shot. They have just brought out a multi-purpose plate so you can cut things like Quickutz & Wizard dies on it. With a foam mat you can also emboss with ordinary brass stencils & emboss the Wizard dies as well.

It is only the bigger commercial dies that you cannot use.

Liz