Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > Cardmaking

Notices

I Love Guinea Pigs 7 days a Wheeeeek !!! Kelly's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

Printer Recommendations

Hi All

not entirely sure where i should post this thread but it's card related so i've posted it here :S

i wonder if someone could help me please? My current printer (HP Deskjet 5550) has been absolutely wonderful for the past few years but has decided it no longer wants to pull the paper through quite straight nor will it print borderless anymore despite me changing the setting for it to do so.

i use my printer alot for printing off photographs to use on my cards and for printing directly onto card. With so many printers out there i wonder if you could tell me what you would recommend ???

i'm after something super high quality and under £150 (if possible) i've shortlisted the Canon IP4300 as it has a very high resolution compared to most other printers and was almost set on buying it but i was put off by the manufacturer specifications stating it would take paper up to 273gsm .... but i regularly use card of 290gsm and i'm not sure whether the manufacturer has quoted 273gsm as something it will have no problem with but it would accept something thicker, albeit maybe not as easily, or whether this is the absolute limit, also i need to know whether it would accept A5 or whether it would skew it like my current printer ... does anyone have an Canon IP4300 ????

thanks
    Kelly

View Gallery

I can't recommend a specific one as not looked at them for so long, but I would suggest that you look for one with a top loading paper feeder, rather than one that takes the paper from a tray underneate. These tend to curl the card a lot more where as one that feeds from the top tends takes it through straighter

most of the ones I have seen like this appear to be from Lexmark, but I have found that there cartridges are generally more expensive than other makes.
    Ramblings of a Robo Rebel

Forever Memories For You for all you Robo needs

[/FONT]3, That's the magic number. Yes it is, It's the magic number .

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (79)
    I have a canon-all-in one Pixma MP 800 (bought 2 1/2years ago) and it has worked perfectly and produced lovely photos but am just about to to replace it with the Pixma MP810. Wouldn't want anything but Canon and so easy to use!

Dedicated Scrapper Madame Cholet's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    I've just bought a Canon Pixma IP5300 - it's fantastic, so much quicker than the Epson we used previously (until I dropped it ) and the quality of photo printing is superb. RRP is £129 but I got it for around £90 on Amazon.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (8)
    I have a Canon ip2000 and also the Epson R265 and both are great!

I think the Epson can take the slightly thicker card... but... i'm not 100% sure as not tried it yet myself!
    Erika x
    "Hug them, kiss them and tell them that you love them. Don't miss the chances that life is giving you to spend with people you love. There are no rewinds!" Adam Sandler

My Photobucket My Blog

View Gallery

Hi Kelly,
    On another web forum that I visit there has been a lot of discussion about printers resulting in several recommendations and lots of info from users especially with regard to printing thick card. If you go to http://www.themulberry-bush.com/Forum.aspx and type 'printers' into the forum search box you should get a lot of results and info.
    HTH,
    Frances

I Love Guinea Pigs 7 days a Wheeeeek !!! Kelly's Avatar
    View Gallery

thanks Frances, i found a thread on that link that says the printer i was looking at getting will take the card i use.

and thanks to everyone else too, i was a little unsure about switching from HP but you all seem to recommend Canon (and others) so i'm going to take a look this weekend

thanks again all !!
    xx