Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > General Scrapping

Notices

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (14)
    I'm from the nw and when I was at school (which is a fair few years ago now!) the t word was in use and considered a naughty word, when said about someone it was definately not complimentary! My dad also informed me at the time that it actually meant a pregnant fish!
    Nic x
    Crafty Chick Creates ~ my blog
    June points: TOTAL:30 SLO:3 DLO: wk1: wk2: wk3: wk4:20 wk5:

a Stewarton Scrap Dolly :) hevbell's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by jo.bee View Post
    I can not bring myself to say either the T or C word - to me they are disgusting. But where I live in Scotland now the T word is quite acceptable!

I'm Scottish and I have to say I have found this whole thread quite interesting as I have never ever heard anyone use that word [its weirding me out even that people are talking about "the T word" rather than just writing it!] in any disgusting way. It was only recently I learned what it meant in America and I thought it was just one of those language differences between countries. I'd no idea people in the UK thought it was on a par with the C word. To me its on a par with Del Boy calling Rodney a plonker and I have always used it in that sense. Noone has ever remarked on it.

One of the older guys I work with used it today so I asked him if he considered it a swear word and he said no. He used it in the same sense as I do. So obviously more of a regional thing than a generational??
    *Heather* ~~ My blog

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    I'm from the NorthWest too and during my teenage years (about 15 years ago) we bandied the T word about in the same way you'd call somebody a "word that rhymes with banker", you know, all those affectionate names you called your friends

IMO, there's no word as bad as the C word!!

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (38)
    Quote Originally Posted by mum-on-the-run View Post
    I'm from the NorthWest too and during my teenage years (about 15 years ago) we bandied the T word about in the same way you'd call somebody a "word that rhymes with banker", you know, all those affectionate names you called your friends

IMO, there's no word as bad as the C word!!

That really surprises me cos I live down the East Lancs from you and the swee****er word is as bad as the c one!

The differences aren't even regional, its even down to counties!

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (8)
    Well I'm a Cardiff girl and grew up with people saying the T word. It wasn't a nice word but it wasn't really a swear word either.

I use it sometimes, definately consider if on a par with idiot or wally!

Oh and I was always told it was a pregnant goldfish too!

Dedicated Scrapper barmyowlscoo's Avatar
    View Gallery

QUOTE=hevbell;3629430To me its on a par with Del Boy calling Rodney a plonker and I have always used it in that sense. Noone has ever remarked on it.

I was always told that plonker was the name of a male body part it seems it OK to call some one a male body part but not female one

Sorry I messed up the quote bit

View Gallery

I always thought the T word was just a wally. I only found out quite recently what it really means. I try not to over use swear words but my immeadiate family, OH and most friends do. I do use the when I'm drunk or angry but I would never use the C word.

Just asked my OH and he knew the female body parts or pregnant fish meanings. I never knew it mean a pregnant fish until today!

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (3)
    This is really, really interesting! I use t*wat fairly regularly and ONLY ever in the meaning that someone is being an idiot, as someone else said in the Del Boy/Rodney scenario - really just in jest. I had NO idea it meant something other and that it could be really offending to other people.

Had no idea about the pregnant fish thing, either! (Where have I been for the last 32 years :LOL

Definitely hate the C word, Must confess I do use it occasionally but only when I'm completely and utterly inraged at someone, and that isn't very often. And I hate saying it!
    Biff Points =
    my wee purple blog [SIZE="1][/SIZE]Doodlebugs team It's my CJ Doodlebugs Team CJ

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by biff103 View Post
    This is really, really interesting! I use t*wat fairly regularly and ONLY ever in the meaning that someone is being an idiot, as someone else said in the Del Boy/Rodney scenario - really just in jest. I had NO idea it meant something other and that it could be really offending to other people.
    Now that IS interesting! Biff and I are old school friends and grew up in the same town (pretty much) and I would think twice about calling someone the T word and it makes me uncomfortable to hear it bandied about. Weird, innit? Perhaps it's because I knew what it *really* was from an early age........and lets not get into WHY I found out what it means.

The Scunthorpe word is about the worst thing you can call anyone. Nope, I think it IS the worst thing you can call anyone. <shudders> It's real :gasp: "don't say that" talk. Particularly if they're an effing Scunthorpe. I rather like that version of it though!!! Like a Mother Hubbard!
    I tried snorting coke but the ice cubes got stuck up my nose..

I blog here http://domesticlightandmagic.blogspot.com

I am the penguin, Koo koo ka choo __TJ__'s Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (32)
    have to agree the c word is just too far, i cant even say it and i have been known to use all sorts of language
    (altho i prefer to go shakespearian on people i get to be really horrific and they dont realise it some of the bards best that i use on occasion are...
    Thou roguish onion-eyed canker-blossom
    [Thou] hath more hair than wit, and more faults than hairs
    begone from me thou odious whore-born sloth
    I Live in Canada I got three kids, two dogs and "some" hens. 🐓 oh and three goats!!! And I make cheese now. Blessed are the cheesemakers. 🧀🐐🐐🐐🦆🦆
    "Not worse is almost as good as better" Terry Pratchett speaking about altzimers, but it works for Aspergers too.

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Lynz View Post
    I would think twice about calling someone the T word and it makes me uncomfortable to hear it bandied about. Weird, innit? Perhaps it's because I knew what it *really* was from an early age........and lets not get into WHY I found out what it means.
    That is quite weird but I'd never really given that much thought - just thought you were always more polite than me But maybe I've just been really naive Honestly never thought it could seriously offend people!

Quote Originally Posted by traceyjohnson View Post
    (altho i prefer to go shakespearian on people i get to be really horrific and they dont realise it some of the bards best that i use on occasion are...
    Thou roguish onion-eyed canker-blossom
    [Thou] hath more hair than wit, and more faults than hairs
    begone from me thou odious whore-born sloth
    Bet that confuses people for ages before they work out if it's an insult or not
    Biff Points =
    my wee purple blog [SIZE="1][/SIZE]Doodlebugs team It's my CJ Doodlebugs Team CJ