Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (5)

DesignMaster templates question

"Before anybody orders the software there are a few things you should know. Firstly it will NOT after all be possible to save from DesignMaster as a GSD file. After speaking to our software engineers it is not technically feasible. There are features in DesignMaster that Robo Master can not do so they would not be understood when imported. Therefore you are only able to save as a RoboMaster file. It is however possible to import Robo Master files into the new DesignMaster."

This was posted by Phil in early October. I am a bit confused. Does this mean that if we design a template using DesignMaster then someone who hasn't purchased the software won't be able to open it? If so, how are we going to distinguish between GSD's and the new software templates?

Not that mine has blinking arrived yet!!!!!!
    Blog:-Minty Magic's Blog
    CJs: Digi CJ

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (2)
    I guess there will be a problem. As I believe the new DM doesn't support export in any other file type, it's the new file format or nothing.

UKS will be split into 2 camps re files, those who have DM and those who don't.

Very sad really, that a forum that has contributed so much to people thinking of buying and using the Robo will now be reduced to a decision whether to buy a new software or not.

I for one will not buy it as I have the KNK version which is superior. That means that I will be unable to open any files produced in DM.

I will still be able to contribute GSD files as the KNK has good export capabilities. Indeed all my recent files were created in KNK and converted for use with Robo. But then if it is totally one sided for the people who don't purchase DM, where is the incentive to keep contributing?

Maybe the software and sales guys who commission the software should take a deeper look into the crafting community and realise it's also about the pleasure and ability to share.

ErikaP

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (8)
    im not too clued up on the new software as i was thinking of getting it, im still learning myself and i do download some templates from people on here so i can play with and get some pratice going.

I thought that if they were gsd files and you wanted to just cut them then you could use the old software? as phil said a while ago to keep the robo master on still aswell as the new software?

so people could still cut the gsd files and make them in gsd on that, but if they want to use the new software from what i can tell if made on that software they will be in a format that you can only open if you have the new software?

but someone did mention last week i think that you could prehaps convert that file made in design master so that you can open it in robo master, and save it as a gsd that way?

I might be totaly wrong no doubt i am.

but if this cant be done then it will cause alot of problems for people on this forum that like to share.

maybe someone thats got the software now could try for use to see if its possible to open or convert it to open in robo master software?

PROUD TO BE A ROBO REBEL
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    donnykins

any files you already have will open in new software but any files designed in new software will not open in old
    it really is that simple.

I agree with erika
    and lets hope we do not get a them and us situation here on UKS

i will be one of those affected because i am not going to buy something to do something i already do with ease. no matter how cheap it is, i can buy a lot a stash with £40

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

View Gallery

I couldn't agree more with this, Erika! Further, it's my understanding that not only can you not export from DM in any format that can be opened in other programs, but you also can't import .gra files into KNK Studio or vice-versa! This is insane considering it is the same software, from the same programmers, with a portion of the features removed in DM. Also, GSD files will NOT import into DM any better than they import into the current KNK Studio, which means a LOT of the GSD's will not open. Now this shouldn't be a big issue since DM owners will still have their RoboMaster programs to use for opening and cutting GSD files, but I think Graphtec should remove that as a feature from their web site since it doesn't work most of the time.

I don't know whether it's ignorance or arrogance that keeps these companies from listening and understanding that we paper crafters LOVE to share our files with every other paper crafter out there, regardless of what software or what cutter they own! And the capability is there for this sharing... but not always the cooperation of the companies. Phil, this is NOT directed to you personally. I can see that you are a great guy who cares a lot about your customers. It's just me venting that once again, just like in the past, we have unnecessary blocks set up to prevent us from sharing our files.

By the way, I have extensive experience with KNK Studio and I've started a Yahoo group called DesignMasterFun. I welcome anyone wanting help with software to come join us there. I can't help with installation or registration (thank heavens KNK Studio switched to a dongle after the first nightmarish month of trying to deal with emailing license files!). But I can help with the basic software and I'm VERY familiar and experienced with every feature that has been left in Design Master.

Sandy McCauley

View Gallery

In case it causes any confusion, .gra is the file format for Design Master and .knk is the file format for KNK Studio. They SHOULD be interchangeable but they are not and it's VERY unfortunate that this has happened.

Owner of Janome MC9900 & Brother ScanNCut
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    yes my understanding is any existing gsd file will open in design master, but if someone creates a new file in the design master software then anyone without the design master software would not be able to open it.

i beleive that once you create your design master file, you could probably do the screen capture method and then save that image as a jpeg.

open that jpeg in robomaster and autotrace and then save as a normal gsd.

abit long winded but very similar to what we do know with creating files in inkscape and then coverting to robo files.

but i could be wrong, i do agree though that it would have been far easier if the software had saved as gsd then we wouldnt need to mess around.

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by stressed View Post
    yes my understanding is any existing gsd file will open in design master, but if someone creates a new file in the design master software then anyone without the design master software would not be able to open it.

i beleive that once you create your design master file, you could probably do the screen capture method and then save that image as a jpeg.

open that jpeg in robomaster and autotrace and then save as a normal gsd.

abit long winded but very similar to what we do know with creating files in inkscape and then coverting to robo files.

but i could be wrong, i do agree though that it would have been far easier if the software had saved as gsd then we wouldnt need to mess around.
    Unfortunately, that's not true... most gsd's will NOT open in DM. We can keep our fingers crossed that CADLink will keep hacking away at it and get more to import, and provide a free update at some point, but don't count on 100% success. Also, when you do get some to open up, be sure to zoom in and look closely because, in my experience, there will be missing segments or entire paths missing. You can get some pretty wacky results. The interesting thing is that the GSD's from the Quickutz site DO import into KNK Studio... and, thus, Design Master, and I believe that gsd's that originated from Adobe Illustrator will also import. But if you have any gsd file in which the spline tool was used more than once, then you only get the original path and all subsequent paths are ignored during the import.

You're correct on how to convert a DM gra file to GSD. The screen shot method will probably be the only way to do it. But that's not a biggie... it's pretty easy to do. Still, it's a shame they couldn't have left it any of the standard vector formats for exporting that are available in KNK Studio: .dxf, .eps, .svg, .pdf, .ai, etc.

Craftrobo amateur
    View Gallery

Sandy

are you saying KNK actually exports dxf files?, if so then DM needs this function, I have been asking for a dxf output from RM as long as I have had my robo (18 months), dxf (in my opinion) in a great way of getting info from one system to another (I have been doing this for more than 20 years with AutoCAD, the main package I use for designing for my Robo). You would have thought that in this day and age that any software designer would have at least included dxf (it is the longest serving and most common file translation format, which ALL CAD systems use to one degree or another).
    As for the arguments about those having DM and those having Robomaster, well I can see Robomaster being phased out and DM being the main software.
    I agreee with Erika that KNK and DM should be interchangeable, in fact thay should be the same thing and only one piece of software should exist for both machines, solves all bitching and interchangeability issues.
    I was going to buy DM at the show at the NEC (purely for the improved text handling capabilities, welds and mats etc) but now I think I wlll speak to Graphtec and express my displeasure at the lack of formats availiable in DM.
    Can KNK be purchase in the UK? and will it work with Robo, if so I am going to get that instead.
    AS for doing a screen shot to get back to GSD from DM, who in their right mind is going to want to go to all that trouble, crazy and backwards step in my opinion. Surely if we Robo users in the UK express our displeasure then Graphtec will have to something about it, and also of course we can vote with our wallets (don't buy it till it is of some use).

regards

Bill

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

What are the file formats DM does export?
    Thats what I've missed obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by bill.costello View Post
    Sandy

are you saying KNK actually exports dxf files?, if so then DM needs this function, I have been asking for a dxf output from RM as long as I have had my robo (18 months), dxf (in my opinion) in a great way of getting info from one system to another (I have been doing this for more than 20 years with AutoCAD, the main package I use for designing for my Robo). You would have thought that in this day and age that any software designer would have at least included dxf (it is the longest serving and most common file translation format, which ALL CAD systems use to one degree or another).
    As for the arguments about those having DM and those having Robomaster, well I can see Robomaster being phased out and DM being the main software.
    I agreee with Erika that KNK and DM should be interchangeable, in fact thay should be the same thing and only one piece of software should exist for both machines, solves all bitching and interchangeability issues.
    I was going to buy DM at the show at the NEC (purely for the improved text handling capabilities, welds and mats etc) but now I think I wlll speak to Graphtec and express my displeasure at the lack of formats availiable in DM.
    Can KNK be purchase in the UK? and will it work with Robo, if so I am going to get that instead.
    AS for doing a screen shot to get back to GSD from DM, who in their right mind is going to want to go to all that trouble, crazy and backwards step in my opinion. Surely if we Robo users in the UK express our displeasure then Graphtec will have to something about it, and also of course we can vote with our wallets (don't buy it till it is of some use).

regards

Bill

View Gallery

DM doesn't export in any format. It saves as a .gra which won't open in any other program but DM. Somehow they've managed to recreate the RoboMaster GSD situation again!

Bill, KNK Studio has several dxf formats to use, but unfortunately, none of them will then import into RoboMaster. However, you can export as .svg and those will open in Inkscape and, from there, you can simplify (if necessary)and save as .dxf for RoboMaster.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (8)
    my robo master saved a file last night as a gsd???

( sorry i put desin instead of Robo only just noticed, getting confused with the names of the software its still all new to me)
    Last edited by donnykins; 24-10-2007 at 11:29 AM.

Graphtec GB
    View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by sandymcc View Post

I don't know whether it's ignorance or arrogance that keeps these companies from listening and understanding that we paper crafters LOVE to share our files
    Now I am offended!!!

Phil

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (19)
    I think its unfair to bash graphtec for the new software the software was designed as an add on as robo users wanted to be able to design in one application instead of three.

Phil said that unfortunately they couldnt export the gsd to robo,as they were hoping.

They have made a basic design package at a basic price if you want one that has all the bells and whistles then you will hve to pay the much higher price.

Most of the folks who are making the templates have said they dont want to buy the new software as they are happy using three different applications,so i dont think it will affect the availibility of templates too much.

That being said if it does turn out that there are lots of templates being designed in the new software you will have to weigh up the pros and cons.

The templates on here are free so your already saving money,so maybe a little expenditure at the beggining wont be a bad investment.

graphtec must be well and truly sick of all the hassle ,i doubt they willl want to help out this way again.
    Mystic

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (19)
    must have posted at the same time Phil.
    Mystic