Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Card making addict and avid robo fan
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    I can't believe that people are giving Phil and Graphtec such a hard time.

Phil made it very clear that you couldn't export the Designmaster files and if that isn't suitable then you don't HAVE to buy the software. I for one am very grateful that this software has been made available as I am not clued up on Inkscape and other programs that some of you use to produce your lovely templates. If you can use these other programs then you probably don't need the new Designmaster software anyway. However, we are not all computer wizards and from what I have seen and heard this software seems easier to use and will certainly enable me to produce my own templates. I am happy to pay £40 and can't wait for it to arrive.

Thank you Graphtec for all your hard work it is much appreciated.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (8)
    seems some of the problems and comments from people have just moved from one thread to another

View Gallery

yes i agree, i too think it is unfair to be having a go at graphtec, after all, for people such as myself who is not to clever at computers, this new design master will enable me to create my own templates but with out all the hassle of changing from one application to another, have already used it for welded words on side of cards and it was terrific, done in seconds, so so easy, and we did know long ago that it would not be possible to to save as GSD, there is lots of good features in this new software and i for one am happy i bought it, yes maybe the same can be done in inkscape, thats when it is not crashing which it does with me half the time, i think Phil and his team have made for us a easy to follow program at a really good price, not like some that can be purchased on the market at a ridiculous price, i think those who bought this program will not be disappointed with it. like Phil said you do not have to buy this software, robo still works with out it, and i too would think if people are prepared to pay out the money for a craft robo i would think most would also purchase the design master to go with it. And you never know maybe not to long into the future some one will come up with an idea as to how it can be converted into GSD if needed to be. i also agree it is a shame that people who have not bought the new software will not be able to share templates made with those that have, we will just have to bare with it and see what the outcome is.

kate

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (5)
    Ooops I didn't mean to open a can of worms!!!

I guess as long as we clearly state on our templates that it was designed in Design Master then it will save people downloading the templates and then being unable to open them.

I was happy to pay £40 as I find it a real faff going from software to another. Still waiting for mine to be delivered - unless the lovely postie has delivered whilst I have been at work - here's hoping!!!!!
    Blog:-Minty Magic's Blog
    CJs: Digi CJ

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (24)
    well i am loving new software was up trying it out til 3 o'clock this morning when tiredness gave in, for one i am grateful to graphtec and phil for doing this to keep an old dear happy i just want it for personnal use and it does what i want.
    hugs phil, dont give up on us phil just for a few, as they are only opinions

susannah

PROUD TO BE A ROBO REBEL
    View Gallery

We are all entitled to our opinions. It would be a boring world if we all agreed all of the time.

I do not thing any one was having a go at anyone in particular to me it was a general comment, i did not see any names mentioned or any name bashing.

Surely we can all have our say without being frightened of offending someone, I am getting were i fear posting on here these days in case someone takes it the wrong way.

My opinion may not count for much but i am just as entittled as anyone else on UKS to view it.

If i have upset anyone with this post i think i can live with it because any offence taken was not intentional.

xxxx

Robo Novice
    View Gallery

"As for the arguments about those having DM and those having Robomaster, well I can see Robomaster being phased out and DM being the main software." quoting Bill

Yes, so can I. Lots of people have become very good at being able to use Inkscape etc and had no alternative at the time but I don't see that being a reason for the rest of us being forced to do the same. I see DM making my life a lot easier. I also see it as an end point so I'm not getting worked up about what it will export although I think compatibility across different machines is disappointing. I can't use .gsd elsewhere and won't be able to use .gra elsewhere: That is a neutral situation.

I hope UKS doesn't become a 'us and them' too but if the bank of .gra files becomes half as good as the current bank of templates then £40 to access them will be a bargain in itself. I hope with the new software I might be one of the people contributing more often.
    http://karenscreation.blogspot.com

View Gallery

what is the main file format that the new software will save files in? as im looking at the design master and the funtime scrapbooking

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (2)
    It will save as a .gra which is a file type exclusive to Graphtec. As far as I am unaware there are no facilities to save or export in any other file type.

I guess it will not be a problem if you are happy to stay with Robo, but if you wish to share your files with anyone who doesn't have DM or change to anything other than Robo in the future, you are stuck. The .gra file type locks you into Graphtec.

I bought a KNK, which has the more extensive version of the software. KNK have retained export options, unlike the DM, so it means I can share files with users of different machines.

ErikaP

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (85)
    I see DM making my life a lot easier. I also see it as an end point so I'm not getting worked up about what it will export although I think compatibility across different machines is disappointing. I can't use .gsd elsewhere and won't be able to use .gra elsewhere:
    I totally agree, this is why I bought it. Mainly for titles which to be honest don't tend to me used more than once.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (2)
    I hope UKS doesn't become a 'us and them' too but if the bank of .gra files becomes half as good as the current bank of templates then £40 to access them will be a bargain in itself. I hope with the new software I might be one of the people contributing more often
    Hi Karen,

It's not about the money. I have a bigger version of the DM software, why do I want to clog my laptop with something I will use only to open one file type? In my software I can open GSD files from Robo, I can export in PDF, AI, SVG, DXF, EPS, TXT.

By producing a software that only has the ability to save in Graphtec exclusive file type, Graphtec has created a them and us, whether we like it or not.

ErikaP

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by philk View Post
    Now I am offended!!!

Phil
    Phil, I apologize for offending you. Again, you seem like a terrific person who genuinely wants to help the users in any way possible. And I have no doubt that, based on your involvement here, you would agree with me that it's very important to most paper crafters to be able to share files with other paper crafters, regardless of what software or cutters they own.

I realize that it was impossible to make DM export in gsd format because it's an encrypted format that the Japanese refuse to share. I also realize that removing all export functionality may have helped Graphtec bring the price down to something reasonable for the majority of CR owners. However, it is very upsetting that the file format has been deliberately changed so that none of these files can be opened in KNK Studio. If that decision hadn't been made, then these people wanting to share their gra files could have at least had someone with KNK Studio open them and export them as .svg. THEN, everyone could have opened them in Inkscape and saved them in a format for their cutters.

Again, this is nothing personal against you. It's about a decision that I feel was poorly chosen in light of knowing how important it is for the paper crafting community to be able to share their designs.

View Gallery

far as i know svg is a common format that larger scaled machines use, so if that was to happen they wouldnt make there money on the larger software as the companys would chose to buy the retail versions that we use,

so i think they done that to stop it happening, but they have kind of cut alot people out of the loop , for people who want to use files that have been made in Design Master will have to either buy the software or go without or hope someone comes up with a way of getting them into there software.

at end of day its through choice whats more important to you etc.

Craftrobo amateur
    View Gallery

Why is it unfair to bash graphtec (which I am not really doing btw) I would just have expected a software package to come with a minimum of file translators, dxf being the most basic and oldest format in the CAD world (where it was invented). This would at least solve the problem of import/export to RM and most other systems (AutoCAD being my system of choice as well) plus anyone else would be able to import as well. So if Graphtec want to charge an extra £whatever if I get a translator I would gladly pay it!!

Rant over, but I am in total agreement with those who are unhappy with the release of software that raises incompatability issues, it does not matter who the company is, if it were Autodesk I would be saying the same thing.

Bill

Craft robo user
    View Gallery

donnykins, I am going for the funtime scrapbooking software

I have it ordered. I was going to buy Design Master...but hubby said wait until you hear what people have to say about it...it took so long to be shipped(longer then I though acceptable even in light of the strike) that I decided it before I heard what people had to say.

I don't have it yet and can't compare, but from what I have read I think at the end of the day you get what you pay for and it is sometimes better to spend more and have the better product.

Well that is my penny's worth.

I have watched the discussion on design master and wonder why so many people defend graphtec, who are making money....think about it why should anyone settle for second best unless they choose to. If people share what they are not happy with it helps other people look at the options with clearer insight, because design master is not the only software on the market for the Craft Robo. Its your money you have a choice.

People need to be able to share concerns etc.

OK now I will climb off my soap box....

Go back to my little corner and carry on watching......

Jeanette