Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I will be thin ... I will Dee100's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    Quote Originally Posted by Karen J View Post
    Hi Dee
    There is an icon (at least in my 2.4 version): It is 6th in from the right: Says 'load file' when I hover the mouse over it. I've never done it the Insert > File route either: Learn something new every day!
    Hi Karen

I have to fes I had not noticed the icon at the top, I do feel a fool.

x

Robo Novice
    View Gallery

Yes, Dee, use autotrace (last icon on right) as Erika said higher up the page. You need to slide the threshold slider about until you get it as black and solid in the screen as possible and then click on 'paste and exit' at the bottom. It will put the cut lines over the top of your image and you need to check this is as you want it but you can resize etc as you like. Hope this helps: It was only a few days ago I was asking how autotrace worked but I have played a fair bit since then
    http://karenscreation.blogspot.com

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (2)
    It all depends on how the words looked before you exported them from Inkscape. If they were black in Inkscape they will be filled in the jpeg.

You can right click on the image in Inkscape and select the fill stroke option. That will give you a dialogue box where you can remove the fill. Alternatively right click in the bottom left of the screen, with the image selected, and choose swap fill stroke.

Re inserting files, I save the jpeg to the desktop, from there you can simply drag it to the Robo bar at the bottom of the desktop, wait for the robo window to open and just drop it into the document. Much quicker. It also means that the png and jpeg files can be easily deleted once you have finished using them.

View Gallery

Thanks girls.

Got to cook but will be back to try again later. I am sure I am not too far away from getting it right.

Will read through your replies and absorb.

x

View Gallery

Well not much further I am afraid.

Can you help please?

I have the words in Inkscape and they look correct all nicely welded and are outlined as I expected. I saved as svg and then saved as dxf.

I tried to open the dxf in PSP to save as jpeg, I can see the words in preview but when it opens it's on the checkered background and there are just a few random turquoise bits of the lines showing.

I then tried to import the dxf file in CR and the words imported fine as outlined words BUT bits of the outline are turquoise the same as when I open the file in PSP, the rest is black.

Anyone any ideas please?

x

View Gallery

Closing a file in Inkscape Question

One further question please.

Every time I close a file in Inkscape it closes the program, I use File, Close and not Quit – it just does not seem correct to me.

x

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    OK -I think you've got a bit muddled here!
    You can do export bitmap which gives you a .png file which you then open in your graphics program and save as a jpeg.

If you just need the outline:
    Open a new page in RoboMaster
    Click on Get outline icon on top tool bar ( green square)
    In the menu window that opens File>Load image and browse until you find your jpeg
    Get outline Paste and Exit.
    This puts just the outline on the page for you- much less fuss than having to ungroup to take out the fill.

Or:
    From Inkscape you can save as a .dxf
    Open new page Robomaster and then File>LOAD dxf and that will put the outline on the page for you.
    Select all group, change colour and you are ready to cut.
    As Erika says this sometimes gives you a very slow cut and the export as bitmap is a better idea.
    HTH
    Susibi

by the way quite a few Inkscape basics are explained in pictures in the How to tutorial in the tutorial section of the Forum.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (24)
    You could leave as is and check that you have the two cutline colours set, and your Robo will cut both. But it's best to change them all to a single colour. Just select the whole of your outlined text and change the cut line colour to black. Save the file if you want, then cut!

I think if you go the inkscape to png to jpg to CR to trace route, you're probably best to keep your solid outline all the way through, as you'll need this for (auto)tracing.

Rosemary

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by susibi View Post
    OK -I think you've got a bit muddled here!
    You can do export bitmap which gives you a .png file which you then open in your graphics program and save as a jpeg.

If you just need the outline:
    Open a new page in RoboMaster
    Click on Get outline icon on top tool bar ( green square)
    In the menu window that opens File>Load image and browse until you find your jpeg
    Get outline Paste and Exit.
    This puts just the outline on the page for you- much less fuss than having to ungroup to take out the fill.

Or:
    From Inkscape you can save as a .dxf
    Open new page Robomaster and then File>LOAD dxf and that will put the outline on the page for you.
    Select all group, change colour and you are ready to cut.
    As Erika says this sometimes gives you a very slow cut and the export as bitmap is a better idea.
    HTH
    Susibi

by the way quite a few Inkscape basics are explained in pictures in the How to tutorial in the tutorial section of the Forum.
    Of course, I'm so sorry that was it, I should have read back over the posts instead of starting with what I had in my memory - what memory

I am following a tutorial but it stops after you have formed the words and does not mention changing to jpeg.

Going to have another go but if it all looks good I won't be able to cut until tomorrow

Thanks you are kind. I don’t want to be beaten.

x

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by dozyrosy View Post
    You could leave as is and check that you have the two cutline colours set, and your Robo will cut both. But it's best to change them all to a single colour. Just select the whole of your outlined text and change the cut line colour to black. Save the file if you want, then cut!

I think if you go the inkscape to png to jpg to CR to trace route, you're probably best to keep your solid outline all the way through, as you'll need this for (auto)tracing.

Rosemary
    Ok, thanks Rosemary off I go again.

x

View Gallery

I just may have done it !!!!!

Can't wait to try tomorrow, thanks for all your help, it is appreciated.

x

Dedicated Scrapper - Limited Sponsor - beanpole's Avatar
    View Gallery

Well as you may know, I only do things v simply, so I just drop the letters in one by one using Text then play with them. If you do them in, say, red, you just draw round them in black to 'weld' and cut them. Did a Merry Christmas banner while having my toast this am tho have not cut it yet. Seems v straightforward tho

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by beanpole View Post
    Well as you may know, I only do things v simply, so I just drop the letters in one by one using Text then play with them. If you do them in, say, red, you just draw round them in black to 'weld' and cut them. Did a Merry Christmas banner while having my toast this am tho have not cut it yet. Seems v straightforward tho
    and I have been at this for two days

Dedicated Scrapper - Limited Sponsor - beanpole's Avatar
    View Gallery

Aah, but its the quality that counts! Mine is just a quick one!

View Gallery

but it works for you! I have not reached the cutting stage as yet BUT I think I may have cracked it, shame I can't cut til tomorrow If it works you will hear me shouting all over the UK