Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

Women's Institute Rools OK!
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

Trouble at Robo!

Hello all,

I have been having a great time over the last couple of days looking through all your galleries for ROBO stuff, OMG aren't you all really clever.

Yesterday I scanned an image of the Three legs of Man (Manx national emblem) into Design Master & using the auto trace tried to copy & cut it. I have been having trouble with it. It needs to be done as a sort of stencil, cus there is a design on the legs which I need to have cut out too. The problem has been that the whole thing is very thin & keeps breaking. I have not worked out how to increase the thickness of both the external & internal lines yet. Any ideas?

Have given up now as frustrated, but I was getting there! Will try again later.

Does anyone know how long it will be before I hear if I am accepted to allow me access to some of the wonderful templates on here? I love some of the lattice cards.

Keep on Robo rockin!

love
    lillibean

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (10)
    you just keep trying to access lillie the templates your not informed

as for the other prob can you upload what youve done for us to see if we can help

tina x

View Gallery

Hi Tina,

Thanks for the reply. I'll have a go at uploading, not too good with the PC so be patient please?!!!

Cheers,
    lillibean.

Owner of Janome MC9900 & Brother ScanNCut
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    not sure what exactely you want to do but you could try this
    make sure its selected and do
    arrange>break path (that separates the outer frame from the inner bits.
    then click on the outer frame and drag it to one side just so you can see it better

whilst its selcted to to
    transform>outline and type 5.00 in the box and make it red so you can see it.

then click close you should now have the first outline shape with a fatter red outline shape.

delete the inner and drag the new red one back over the inner bits from the original.

does that make sense.

what you should have is more area around the bits.

if you want even more instead of 5.00 make it a bigger number

once your happy, make sure its all selected and do arrange>make path

that makes it all one unit again easier for resizing.

ive attached a screen shot for you to see if this is what you meant

someone may have an alternative method for you.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by stressed; 02-01-2008 at 08:09 PM.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (24)
    I know MaryAnne worked hard to give everyone permission to access the templates before Christmas, and I think she also posted about her availability (or not!) over the holiday period, so it may well be a matter of being patient a bit longer until she can "play catchup".

Rosemary
    "The main reason people buy those machines [Craft Robos] is to cut out words and lace doily patterns for their scrapbooks."

View Gallery

Lillibean, not sure if what I have done is any good to you. What I did was to break the path and move the outer outline away which leaves all the bits which you can cut out separately and stick on the cut out outline if you have the patience. You could cut the outline in a dark colour and the bits in a lighter version of the same colour. Someone else may have a better idea. You may of course just want the outline

Lynne

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (24)
    Ashley, I think lillibean wants the leg cuts themseves to be thicker as they definitely look rather fragile.

I don't have DM so can't offer any real suggestions, but I would try adjusting the positioning of some of the inner lines manually by editing and bringing their nodes closer together to make them smaller, but you might need to break apart so you can do this? Sometimes designs do need to be worked on by hand to get the results you want.

Alternatively, though I know it's not quite the same, but you could use the pen option and draw it?

Rosemary
    "The main reason people buy those machines [Craft Robos] is to cut out words and lace doily patterns for their scrapbooks."

View Gallery

ROSEMARY - thanks for the advice. I will be patient, but you know what it's like with a new toy!

Thanks everyone for the help with the three legs. I shall go off & play again. It will be worth it. I think both the inside & outside lines need to be thicker as i want to use it as a sort of stencil to place over other colours. At least that is my initial idea, but it may change once I've tried it.

Have a look at google images for the Isle of Man (or Manx) flag & you'll maybe get some idea of what I am hoping for. I may have to seperate it all out to get the best effect. I'll post here once I am happy (or suicidal)!!!

Cheers all,
    lillibean.

View Gallery

Just had another play, this time I did an outline as explained by stressed on the outer and then did an inline on all the inner bits. This has made the frame work a bit bigger. I have put both the oldand the new in this template so you can see the difference.

Lynne

View Gallery

Lynne - Thank you for trying so hard to help me .... but .... I can't open the files you posted up. What am I doing wrong? It says windows doesn't recognise the GRA file type.

Thanks,
    lillibean.

View Gallery

You need to set your pc to use the Designmaster program to open up the template. The other way of opening up the file is to save it somewhere easy to find ie your desktop open up Desgnmaster and go to open file and find the file on your desktop and it should open just fine.

Lynne

View Gallery

Thanks Lynne,

Got it now. I've cut it out from the template you adjusted & it's getting there. I had to trim a couple of the smaller pieces in the feet out with the craft knife, but it looks really good. I hope to add it on the L-shaped card so the legs are cut out as a shape & then place the stencil legs on top, if you get my meaning. May take a while to get it exactly how I want it, but it's looking much more hopeful now.

Thank you for your help, hard work & advice, MUCH appreciated.

lillibean

View Gallery

Glad to be of help and your template is moving more to what you want. Hope you post a picture of the finished result as it sounds good.

Lynne