Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

View Poll Results: Will you re-upload your templates if we take the steps as outlined in the post?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I would re-upload them

60 77.92%
  • No I would not re-upload them

2 2.60%
  • I may upload some, but not all

15 19.48%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Dedicated Scrapper zoe_Australia's Avatar
    I used to live in the UK but have now moved to Australia
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

mad

Quote Originally Posted by NikiB View Post
    To me a person who is an active participant of the Robo community isn't necessarily someone who posts templates, I've never posted many myself, or someone who has the answer to a problem, but they are people who:

offer guidance as to where people can get help from, anyone can point a new person in the direction of the tutorials or the crafty club site.

Give support when needed - and this could even just be a message of encouragement or help with searching the forum for an answer as most problems have been discussed and resolved at least once before

thank others for the templates they share, especially if you have used them on a design, and perhaps post a picture either in a thread or in your gallery so that people can see what you have done with the design.

I think NikiB says it all really and I strongly agree.

However I do belive that no matter how hard you try to protect the templates. If a person wishes to profit then they will continue to do so.

The bottom line I think is, if you dont want files to be stolen or sold then its best not to share them or alternatativley sell them yourself which many on here have said they would be happy to buy and I agree with this as your all very talented.

A way of making it harder for people to steal the demo pictures on the CD is if the smaples were shown in pdf or screenshot and have the word sample across the top welded to the outline. The inside of the shape could be changed and welded to the outline (ie the name of the designer, the date it was made etc welded to the inside of the sample) making it difficult to copy and trace the style depending on the type of template it was.

The brillent thing about a group like this is that UKscrappers are a great forum and could be a pressure group towards ebay when copy right laws are broken. In the future, a name and shame list and possible legal action may prevent others from doing the same thing.

What ever people decide to do, I would like to take the oppertuntiy to say thank you for the kindness, the time, and the wonderful inspiration that you have given me.
    Last edited by zoe_Australia; 04-12-2007 at 02:48 AM.

View Gallery

I am sitting here trying to find the right comments to make about this very sad situation and a number of thoughts are going through my mind!

Here goes -

Firstly, it isn't always possible to contribute to the forum and although I have popped on and tried to keep in touch with the latest, over the past months I have just not had time to post - but does that make me any less a member?

Secondly, by uploading our templates are we not putting them into the public domain and therefore risking having our work stolen by some greedy people? I did not remove the few I had put on (and I am not sure how I would find out if those had been stolen) but I believe it is a risk I run and if only one person made some use of each one then I am happy.

I agree there should be some protection and I am very grateful for the work that is being done but as Niki illustrated numbers of postings are not the answer. Surely the crafty-club is a way forward (sorry Phil) because we all have to own a machine and have a password and there must be some way that access can be gained by people who don't own uk registered machines.

I do so hope that the template section can return albeit in a different format and I want to thank everyone who has ever contributed and whose work I have looked at and used as inspiration - without necessarily even downloading their template, it isn't always the well known 'names' whose work we admire so much, it can be the simplest 'first share' which is just right for something.

Sorry about my ramblings at this late hour but I think we must be careful not to 'cut off our nose to spite our face' and perhaps after this we should all be grateful that I don't post too often!!

Sue

Dedicated Scrapper thecountryrose's Avatar
    View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Gentleflower View Post
    Well I would post a template if I could get to the craft robo...Linda hogs it

Alan

ROTFLMBO!!! Alan, that is too funny!

Dedicated Scrapper Gadget Monkey's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (23)
    How about if uk scrappers peeps were only given so many accesses to templates a month, say 5 a month, then it would be harder for someone to steal to many to put on a disk.... and everyone could then be forced to ask smax or mary anne for a password to access that forum, and it could be monitored that way. (not sure how, it was just an idea).

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

I wish I knew how to upload templates and to design them. I haven't mastered the art of either yet. I have been trying to design some and it drives me nuts. I sure hope this gets resolved and we can download templates again as I depend on this site. I have been away for a few weeks and just tried to download a gsd and oh my goodness am I in a pickle.
    I depend on this site. I appreciate you ladies so much and don't have a clue how to design these awesome templates.
    Barb

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Once I have mastered the how too's, I would love to upload templates. I am just not good at it.

Barb

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (24)
    Having had a good mull over, I will be re-loading some (but possibly not all!) of my templates in due course...

And again thanks to mary Anne and Smax for doing the best they could to make us safe from further theft.

Rosemary

View Gallery

some members find it frightening at first to even put a message in let alone a template! ... it may be the first time they have even been part of a web community. They feel odd and unsure of just what to say.

I know ... I've been there!

Linda
    A member of Just Cutters - Against Copyright Infringement
    New to UKS? Need Help? Go Here