Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

Noisy and not joining up

Hi! Novice here. Have now managed to cut a title with my CR, thanks to the excellent tutorial help! - but notice 2 things and would be glad of your comments.
    1) I opened the CR before Christmas and managed to cut a title then, but
    haven't used it since until today. It's been in a warm and dry place, but it sounds terrible today, making loud groaning noises as it cuts! I don't remember this from last time - does it need oiling anywhere, or is this just how it is?
    2) I drew a rounded rectangle round the word, and notice that wherever it started cutting, it doesn't join up neatly when it comes round again: it's come round narrower so the rounded rectangle has a kind of nick or irregularity in it. Anyone help?
    Many thanks!

Owner of Janome MC9900 & Brother ScanNCut
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    depending on what program you have used to design a template will affect how robo cuts and the noise.

dont worry it does make odd noises but the more experienced you get you can help this but as i said dont worry at the moment.

as for not joining up can you post the template so that we can look at it we may be able to spot something

View Gallery

Thanks for the reassurance about the noise.... The words "post the template" have filled me with dread - not a clue how to do this! Can you point me to any help? I just drew a rounded rectangle round my mirrored word using the Craft Robo software as directed in the tutorial Getting Started here on the Craft Robo forums...

Owner of Janome MC9900 & Brother ScanNCut
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    if you used the rounded rectangle shape, it cannot fail to meet up. by that i mean itsnot something you have drawn free hand and maybe not quite joined up your lines.

the only other reason it wouldnt do that is if your card/paper has moved

make sure your card is fully stuck down on your carrier sheet

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (2)
    As The rounded rectangle is a closed shape, it most likely to be something physical that is stopping it from joining up. It could be that the card is dragging or moving because the card is too thick or not stuck to the mat properly.

When you get used to hearing Robo, you will learn his language. If I hear a change in the noise to a stuttery buzz, I know that the card is dragging. It is sometimes the template and sometimes the card.

Try cutting again, using different settings and card weight. Also listen and watch to see if it is one specific place that the problem occurs. Then if it is the template, you know which area needs some work to stop it happening.

He's a sensitive little soul really, and needs evrything to be how he likes it!

ErikaP

View Gallery

I'm puzzled because the card is very well stuck down, and there is no movement with the letters - all of them look fine....

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (29)
    I agree with Erika, change your settings and maybe the blade cap (what one are you using atm?) I had problems with not joining up, and it was because I was using the pink cap and maximum settings. As soon as I changed to the yellow cap and relevant settings for that it works (although its recommended that you paste a copy directly on top of the first one for some cardstock eg bazzill)

View Gallery

That's useful to know, Erika! Gosh, what a sensitive litle creature! I have just tried putting an ordinary rectange round the words and this has come out fine, neatly joined up. I will try an ellipse to see what happens, and listen to the noises ... It's a bit like having a new baby - I don't what the noises meant yet!

View Gallery

I'm using the pink one and and maximum settings. I'll try the yellow one instead. Not sure what you mean about pasting a copy directly on top for some cardstock?

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (29)
    some cardstock is thicker and the blade might not go all the way through. But if you copy the template and then select paste, it pastes directly on top of the other. So then the robo cuts twice and usually succeeds in going through.

View Gallery

Great tip and many thanks - all is now clear! Didn't realise that copying and pasting would make it go through twice. I'd just pressed cut again. I've also discovered that, on my machine at least - the position of the blade holder turns out to be important and that when using the carrier sheet, it should not be facing the front but turned 90 degrees to the right. The rounded rectangle cuts fine like this. I will put all these tips into practice and am very grateful for the time and help you've all given me today!