Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > Cardmaking

Notices

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (16)

Cards With Cross Stitching

Hi all,

Has anyone here ever made cards with small cross stitches? We've bought some of the small 99p christmas cross stitch kits from Hobbycraft to make into cards and am after some inspiration on how to incorporate them...

Thanks everyone...

Kevin x

Swaps: Alphabets, Decorated Chipboard
    My Blog: The Krafty Korner

New year, new challenges! Wingus's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    I've never made any, but what I've seen the cross-stitching has been enclosed within a cutout shape on the card (oval, square, circle etc.). I suppose you could also use it straight on the card like any other stamped image, but fray the edges of the cloth a bit.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (22)
    This is how I first got into cardmaking. I haven't done any in a while but always used to use the stitched piece behind an aperture, I used to buy pre cut card blanks but if you've a robo or similar then you should be able to design your own.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (67)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sues View Post
    This is how I first got into cardmaking. I haven't done any in a while but always used to use the stitched piece behind an aperture, I used to buy pre cut card blanks but if you've a robo or similar then you should be able to design your own.

Ditto !

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (27)
    Hobbycraft should also sell the tri fold cards for mounting the stitching in Kevie...

Stitch your piece, then use DST to attach it to the back of the window then tape down the front section to cover the back (and to stop nosy parkers looking at the back of your stitching!

It will also look better if you pad the stitching with something like a cotton wool pad as well - close the card before you put the stitching in and mark where the window is - stick the pad on then as above.
    Carolyn

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (24)
    Ditto to all Carolyn has said. To pad, you can also buy thin wadding from fabric shops, which gives a nice smooth slightly raised effect to the card.

You used to be able to buy preprinted aperture cards as well as the plain ones, but it's years since I've looked for anything like these. They were sold in haberdashery depts or needlework type craft shops. You could always stamp a bit of a design,e.g. snowflakes, sprig of holly, or colour or cover the front of plain cards with matching papers, or decorate with peeloff borders, corners, etc.

A possible alternative to Winnie's front mounting suggestion: you can mount some fabrics (mainly fine weave cotton) on to a suitably sized piece of board, tucking the edges behind as if you were covering with paper to make a book cover, and attatch to the front of a solid card. I'm not sure how well this would work with coarser x stitch materials though - you would have to lace it or take good care only to glue the turned under edges and not the front I think!

If you want a bit of extra glitz you can use a bit of metallic thread in your stitching (a bit of silver on snow or a snowman, or gold on candle flames) and even add beads (red holly berries, black beady robin's or snowman's eyes...) Some fabrics you can also spritz or paint before you start.

Rosemary

Oh and a PS: you need to make sure that the top "legs" of your little crosses all go in the same direction for a nice neat look!
    "The main reason people buy those machines [Craft Robos] is to cut out words and lace doily patterns for their scrapbooks."