Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > Cardmaking

Notices

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

A Really Stupid Question

Can I ask something that might be really obvious - what do you use as a base for your cards? The only cards I've ever made were a set of new home cards made with some plain white cards about 4x6ins. I'm really impressed with the cards I've seen on here and in some magazines but was wondering what people use for a base. Do you use ready made cards (though I guess you'd need a range of shapes and sizes) or just cut cardstock into the right size/shape (but that would get quite irritating if you wanted a lot the same)?

Thanks for your help!
    Louise
    The simple act of focusing on things that are normally taken for granted is a powerful source of creativity. Edward de Bono

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (6)
    99% of the time I use ready made white or cream cards ( I'm just lazy ! ) and I cover the front with whatever - bazill/ patterned paper. I do use coloured card at other times though but I try not to, especially if it's a dark colour as I would have to make inserts for them too !. I just stamp the white ones with the greetings if I'm making them on mass so to speak. I always put inserts into special/commissioned cards though whatever their colour.
    Gwyneth

Blog

Paper addict extraordinaire Mystik Nat's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (5)
    I buy envelopes/have a stash of blank envelopes of various sizes, and just create card blanks from Bazzill, etc. to fit the envelopes.

I've that much cardstock lying about unused that I figured I could sacrifice some of it for a good cause!

~ Natty ~

Everybody needs a little help sometimes...
    View Gallery

I tend to buy envelopes and then cut my card to size.I do occassionaly buy the odd card pack though Mostly use white card and then cover with my papers then print an insert....although I do have some gorgeous coloured card but mostly thats used for matting and layering
    Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot about Labradors

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (9)
    I tend to use plain white cards, and have a stack of coloured ones which 'seemed like a good idea at the time' but which are harder to use. Also, as Gwyneth says, you have to use inserts in coloured cards.

I tend to make most cards as largish square ones, 146 x 146 mm. I also do C6 ones, smaller squares and tall thin ones. I do do other sizes, but these are the sizes I use most, so I bulk buy good quality ones (non-sponsor, but I can PM you if you want - I've just nagged them again about becoming a sponsor this week, as I had to PM loads of folks as they are the only place I've come across which sell 8 x 8 in cards / envelopes.

I would advise not to be tempted by very cheap card blanks, they tend to be just that - cheap not good value. They always seem to curl up on me! That said, small packs (of say 5 cards and envelopes) always seem horribly expensive, so my advice is get a decent supply of plain good quality ones.

Like Gwyneth I often cover the fronts in cardstock or patterned paper (using scraps from scrapbooking usually), although just as often I cut a panel, say 135 x 135 mm on my big square cards, ink that and Herma it to the front to make a panel. Oh, and try to put any brads etc through the front layers and then stick them on, saves having to put a spare bit of card on the back.

Another trick to make them look different is either to round the corners, or just the leading edge corners, or to trim the front so that it is narrower than the back, and either put a strip of patterned paper on the inside or edge the front in some way.
    Eileen

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (24)
    Whatever takes your fancy!

Often magazines will give you a list of requirements for the cards they feature and sometimes a list of stockists too, so you could always use this as a basis for sourcing your supplies. But I'd suggest a small selection of cards (with envelopes) in white or cream, say A5, A6, and square to start you off, and maybe a few sheets of heavyish A4 cardstock that you can fold yourself for gatefold and other fancy shapes. If you use a light colour base, you can cover with paper, or use inkpads, chalk, etc and some of the lovely mica based glitzy sprays to colour them if necessary.

I use a mixture depending on what size, shape or colour of card I need, and over time I've built up a good stock of both. And I normally use inserts of some sort whatever cards I'm making - but this is really a matter of choice.

Rosemary
    "The main reason people buy those machines [Craft Robos] is to cut out words and lace doily patterns for their scrapbooks."

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (9)
    I'm obviously mean, as I think it is a waste to cut into a whole sheet of Bazzill to make one or two cards, when I can get good quality blanks, with envelopes for 10p each for C6, 13p for big squares or 6p for small (96 x 96 mm) square ones! Then I use scraps of Bazzill to cover the front if I need to.
    Eileen

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    I usually buy A4 sheets of good quality card in bulk mostly in cream and white and make my own A5, A6 and DL's (which give you a small square from the off-cut). Then I cover them with patterned paper/Bazzil according to my design.

When I have seen good quality blanks on special offer I will by those too - particularly square ones as I don't like the waste I get if I cut these from A4 sheets -again, usually cream or white. I also use double sided 12x12 for fancy cards when I want to do some fancy folds.

I too have bought coloured blanks but much prefer my cream or white... that's the trouble when you can't resist a bargain lol.

BTW if you are going to make your own - invest in a good scoring board and bone folder and you will be well away.

Jenni

View Gallery

Thanks for all your help guys!

I think I'm just as mean as you, Eileen - I buy my Bazzill for scrapbooking and I hate the idea of cutting it up and having edges left over. Plus I'd get bored of all the cutting in the first place and prob wouldn't make any cards in the end!! I like the idea of altering blanks too so they look a little different. Been browsing the galleries and I love some of the ideas people have come up with.

I was thinking the other day (shortly after Christmas) about how much I spend on cards for other people, how often I don't have a card in the house to send (so I don't send one) and how it would be really nice to mark more occasions for my friends and family (sending a handmade card is like sending a pressie as well, I think). So I thought I should stop hoarding my lovely stash and make use of it!

I'm really grateful for all the ideas!! Thanks! L x x x
    Louise
    The simple act of focusing on things that are normally taken for granted is a powerful source of creativity. Edward de Bono

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (24)
    I don't scrap, so any Bazzill I buy I try to get A4 size, but 12x12 can make two six inch square cards.

I make a lot of ATCs so any leftovers too small to make a greetings card can be used for those, and other little bits can be used for matting/layering, cutting die cuts, or paper weaving. If you're really obsessive about wasting nice card or paper, even your punched out bits can be used in shaker cards....

Rosemary
    "The main reason people buy those machines [Craft Robos] is to cut out words and lace doily patterns for their scrapbooks."

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    and on the subject of being thrifty... when you have cut out your mats and layers you can always cut out the centres of those that will be covered, for use in another project lol

Jenni

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (60)
    I mostly use ready made card blanks too. I have a bone-folder board but I still can never get the folds straight and nice! A5 or square cards mostly. I wouldn't like the wastage from cutting my own from 12x12 cardstock either.

I used to make cards before I started scrapbooking, and now I find I don't need to buy any new cardmaking supplies really. I just use offcuts from scrapbooking stash. (and the occasional greeting or image stamp).

Good luck with your cardmaking Louise I've started saving my OH's mum money too as I have so many unused handmade cards waiting for new homes, I gave her a handful to send out.
    Claire {The Blog}