Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > General Scrapping

Notices

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (14)

What do you admire....

.... but find you just can't do?

I came across this beautiful CAS card and absolutely love the simplicity of it but just know that when I try something like that it just doesn't look right.
    I just see a space and need to put something in it yet when I look at gorgeous cards like this I don't see the space. Is that odd?

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3689/9...371a9d76_c.jpg

There's a definite knack to this style of card that completely eludes me but I really admire others being able to make so few elements look so stunning.

Is there any style you love the look of but have tried and not been too happy with the results?

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (22)
    Me too - I watch card makers on the TV - they put together plains and patterns and a little bit stuck here and there - I do the same and it just looks a mess !
    I love the cards with lots of flowers - mine end up looking like the garden that hasnt been touched for 30 years !!

View Gallery

Lol I know what you mean, I'm 'flower challenged' too sharen.

Too few and it doesn't look right and too many just looks argggggh

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (42)
    I think as long as you cluster them in groups of odd numbers, and use flowers that are 1/5 the size of your longet side, or smaller, you'll be ok

As for space, it's keeping things balanced - either smiliar or opposite sizes.
    For example, on the card you showed it was a large background with a small bling, and an embellishment and greeting which were smilar sizes. And there was an odd number of gems- odd number
    Incidentally, it is lovely, and I'll definitely be trying that with my hexagonal embossing folder and punch!

I wronte an article on the golden ratio and rules of composition for the UKS Art Journey series last year - it applies to cards and scrapbooks too, and I'll be re-writing it with pictorial examples, but as it is you may find it useful?
    Hope it helps,
    L xxx

Personal blog *
    Craftaholics TL & Blue Brad DTL * CJs: MojoII&III * SWAPS: Nada!

Determined to reduce the stash and photo pile arimum_123's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (10)
    I love those pages with one small photo, some layered pp's under and lots of white space (usually on white card too). I always have too many photos to fit on a page - smudge dirt on anything white and never seem to be able to use embellishments so it looks like there is lots there but still leaving empty space

here is what I would love to achieve

http://www.twopeasinabucket.com/gall...74915_b4ac7b2b

never quite manage it!

Louise x

Let the good times roll......... CraftyPrincess's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (26)
    I think mine's stamping. I see so many lovely cards with stamped images or making stamped backgrounds and when I set out to have a go something always goes wrong and I end up changing it or covering something up or starting from scratch. It hardly ever goes to plan. I bet though behind lots of those perfect projects there's plenty of 're-dos' we don't see.

That card's lovely, white on white is a big trend right now too I've seen lots of it around on blogs.
    Leo

View Gallery

Thanks leanie that's very helpful I'll have a read through it later.

Quote Originally Posted by arimum_123 View Post

here is what I would love to achieve

http://www.twopeasinabucket.com/gall...74915_b4ac7b2b

never quite manage it!

Louise x
    That's exactly what I'm talking about. I love that layout and your eye goes straight to the picture.

CraftyPrincess I almost gave up on stamping as I just couldn't get it right but I experimented with different inkpads and techniques and am now quite happy (mostly lol) with the results but I don't buy stamps that need colouring in cos I'm no good at that either

I love white on white too.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (67)
    Quote Originally Posted by arimum_123 View Post
    smudge dirt on anything white
    I'm always doing it - or dropping coffee on a project !

Quote Originally Posted by CraftyPrincess View Post
    I think mine's stamping. I see so many lovely cards with stamped images or making stamped backgrounds and when I set out to have a go something always goes wrong and I end up changing it or covering something up or starting from scratch. It hardly ever goes to plan. I bet though behind lots of those perfect projects there's plenty of 're-dos' we don't see.
    Thats me too - and I adore stamping ! I think with stamping backgrounds, you have to have an idea of what stamps you want to use, and the colours you want to use to stamp - and then go from there. I find that when I introduce too many stamps and too many colours, that things start to go awry !

Desperately seeking scraptime.... CoventryAnn's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (3)
    White space, I just can't do it on a card or a layout I always want to put something in it!
    http://coventryann.blogspot.com/
    mAR Points -SLO 7x10 = 70 DLO x10= WklyChall wk1= wk2= wk3=25 wk 4= ;House chall= SimpRec = Cards 5x10= 50 SLYMIR 4 x30=120 Total = 265 SLYMI Reboot total 5/7

Chatty papercrafter elainevking's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (16)
    I like to see steam punk...but I'm hopeless at it and have never saved one project that I started

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    I'm not that good at the 'minimal', less is more type NOR the steam punk type. At least I understand the minimal thing, but steam punk leaves me mystified.

I can blend with a brush (quite nicely), but somehow using the sponge (either in the hand or on the applicator) eludes me, I never get it even.

I'd love to try the melt pot plus it's UTE stuff, but can't justify another splurge. Perhaps Christmas might bring one my way.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (29)
    that card is beautiful, I had a look at her blog and love it.

For me it is definitely stamped backgrounds. I try and get them random but then they look like they are in a row and I end up with gaps too small to fit stamps in but don't look right if left as they are iykwim.

Determined to reduce the stash and photo pile arimum_123's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (10)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hysteri-CAL View Post
    or dropping coffee on a project !
    It's usually marmalade from toast or tomatoes from a sandwich for me

Louise x

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    Where shall I start the list? How about stamping, steam punk, mixing patterns, or anything distressed? It does sometimes make me wonder why I bother with anything crafty, then all of a sudden something goes just how I want it and my faith is restored.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (6)
    I can't copy/recreate cards. I love the cards people post and i've pinned loads of things, but when i try it with my own supplies... looks either rubbish or completely unrecognisable!

in scrapbooking I find that while i like white space, i can't do it. but mostly that's because i don't "get it". I've come to realise i'm a photos & stories person, and as such i fill my pages with photos and journalling. white space seems like a wasted space in which i could have put extra photos or extra journalling.