Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is It Just Me!

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

Is It Just Me!

Morning all

I have been watching C&C cover the launch of the Brother ScanNcut and could not believe the price of it.

Is it just me, or anyone who has watched it, think that the Silhouette Cameo at a fraction of the cost can do exactly the same thing. I couldn't in any demonstration see anything that the Cameo wasn't able to do, other than not needing a computer.

Obviously Silhouette Cameo was bound to be copied at sometime or another, but you cannot beat the cream of the crop, that is Cameo, in my mind.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (25)
    I've watched a few of the demo's and I too think it's expensive even for a club member. The came doesn't need a computer either as it has an SD card slot ...not that I've ever used it but with both machines you would need to have a computer if you want the updates. Admittedly it can scan which the Cameo can't but most people have a scanner

Not a scrapper, a card and boxer.
    View Gallery

And all the new dies they're showing, so expensive. £135 for 40 titchy dies and how often would you use some of them. I'd love to know how much dies actually cost to make, and only one size.
    The only thing you don't get with silhouette machines is the embossing but I'd sooner be able to cut anything you like and not have the embossing for a fraction of the cost.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    I watched a bit of the launch too Eileen and Doreen but I'm afraid I wasn't impressed at all - especially with the price!!! I can't imagine that too many people will be changing their cameo/portrait for one of these and did you notice how expensive the consumables were? I think a carrier sheet was something like £17.99. I honestly don't think you can beat the Cameo for sheer versatility - the only thing I would have liked to have with it would be an embossing option - that would really have been the icing on the cake wouldn't it?
    Sylvia x
    My Blog

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (10)
    You can do more on the cameo that you can cut from a scan too!

They make me laugh all these companies trying to get in on the act.. Mind you my first Robo was 350.00 two days after it launched..
    Tina craft robo

View Gallery

Yes the price does usually come down doesn't it.
    I think if you do a lot of quilting or appliqué it would be pretty good but not so much for cards.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (2)
    You can't scan directly to Studio software but it's very easy to scan to the computer, then open in Studio, trace and send to cut.

I think it is the so called hype of easy to use, no computer and no software which makes crafters want it. But after watching some demo's I would not find it easy to use. A small screen, having to toggle between screens to set up what you want to cut. Studio with my Cameo is so much easier and cheaper. Oh and you still need a computer to download future upgrades.

Agree with Tina our machines can do so much more. The £350 was the price of my old H.P. printer in the mid 90s, equivalent printer today about £40.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

The one thing it seems to offer which the Cameo doesn't is cutting pressure - that to me is the one weakness that the Cameo has. None of the cutting machines can do all of the things that all of the people want (that has a familiar ring to it) but I feel that cutting force is the area where the Cameo falls short. I also think we need to consider the fact that all who mingle here are, to some extent, computer literate. Many aren't. Given the choice of machines to use away from my PC, the cartridge eater wouldn't get my vote - this new machine does seem to offer some encouragement to those who wish to create as well as cut.

Eddie

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (24)
    I to have been watching the programmes on c&c and I too love my cameo and you can as said already do everything other than embossing,i could not believe the price of the machine,and how many add ons you needed to buy to get what they call full function of the machine.

susannah

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Unlike many here I can see the positives in this machine. The Cameo isn't a fraction of the price as in much much cheaper. The Cameo on average is 1/3 less expensive, yes I know 1/3 is a fraction. Would I buy a machine that has the capability of scoring, and being able to cut substrate up to 1.5 mm for an extra £120 pounds, you bet I would. I see this new machine as an addition to my crafting tools, it is not meant to replace the cameo, any more than the cameo is meant to replace my Grand Calibur. They serve different functions, although, there is some cross over. I love my cameo, but I really like the idea of being able to put a machine where, it suits me, and one that won't throw a hissy fit if I don't put in back in the same usb port. I like the idea that I will be able to use my computer and cut out at the same time, without causing my cameo to come to a grinding halt. I like the idea that I can scan in my part used paper and precisely place my design to be cut. I like the idea, I have a seriously sticky mat and a not so sticky mat. I like the idea, I have a deep cut blade and a standard blade, both of which are cheaper and easier to clean. I could go on but I'm boring myselfrolleyes:. If anyone is interested, I'll let you know how I get on, when I get my new toy.

Lynda
    LIFE'S JOURNEY is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit, what a ride!" - Mavis Leyrer age 83

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (25)
    I read on another forum that it doesn't do perforated lines for the fold on a card

View Gallery

Ah well I've got a Portrait which is a fraction of the cost, just over 1/2 in fact.
    But each to there own and ~I think if you do a lot of crafting then you might want to invest in the Brother machine, particularly if you sell for profit.
    someone like me who just makes cards for family and friends probably couldn't really justify the expense.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by labish View Post
    Unlike many here I can see the positives in this machine. The Cameo isn't a fraction of the price as in much much cheaper. The Cameo on average is 1/3 less expensive, yes I know 1/3 is a fraction. Would I buy a machine that has the capability of scoring, and being able to cut substrate up to 1.5 mm for an extra £120 pounds, you bet I would. I see this new machine as an addition to my crafting tools, it is not meant to replace the cameo, any more than the cameo is meant to replace my Grand Calibur. They serve different functions, although, there is some cross over. I love my cameo, but I really like the idea of being able to put a machine where, it suits me, and one that won't throw a hissy fit if I don't put in back in the same usb port. I like the idea that I will be able to use my computer and cut out at the same time, without causing my cameo to come to a grinding halt. I like the idea that I can scan in my part used paper and precisely place my design to be cut. I like the idea, I have a seriously sticky mat and a not so sticky mat. I like the idea, I have a deep cut blade and a standard blade, both of which are cheaper and easier to clean. I could go on but I'm boring myselfrolleyes:. If anyone is interested, I'll let you know how I get on, when I get my new toy.

Lynda
    I agree with you. I think there must be a benefit to having one interface and not say 3 or 4 different machines (cutter, pc, printer, scanner) all talking to each other. However, I am still hovering. If you use code 665834 there may be an extra 10% off - I can't confirm that.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

I have ordered my new machine, but it won't replace my Cameo - it will be used in conjunction with it. I believe it will help me to prepare what my wife wants for her crafting.

I know the machine is expensive - but we must remember that it is a cutting machine and a scanner - we shouldn't expect to pay the same price we would consider for just an electronic cutter. Much is said about the higher cost of the cutting mats, nothing has been said about the blades which look stronger than razor blades and are significantly cheaper than the blades which I buy currently.

As with everything - each of the machines which I use will have their own strengths and I am hoping that they will compliment each other.

I am tiring of the C&C programs - we should know by now, but the demonstrator has a handful of party-pieces and anecdotes which are aired repeatedly. If you ask a question which falls outside their area of comfort, it is ignored.

Fortunately I have managed to find a copy of the machine manual (published on a Canadian site) and have been able to answer some of the questions for myself. The rest will probably need to wait until I get the machine and can find out myself (the hard way - lol).

Eddie

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by ed dawson View Post
    I have ordered my new machine, but it won't replace my Cameo - it will be used in conjunction with it. I believe it will help me to prepare what my wife wants for her crafting.

I know the machine is expensive - but we must remember that it is a cutting machine and a scanner - we shouldn't expect to pay the same price we would consider for just an electronic cutter. Much is said about the higher cost of the cutting mats, nothing has been said about the blades which look stronger than razor blades and are significantly cheaper than the blades which I buy currently.

As with everything - each of the machines which I use will have their own strengths and I am hoping that they will compliment each other.

I am tiring of the C&C programs - we should know by now, but the demonstrator has a handful of party-pieces and anecdotes which are aired repeatedly. If you ask a question which falls outside their area of comfort, it is ignored.

Fortunately I have managed to find a copy of the machine manual (published on a Canadian site) and have been able to answer some of the questions for myself. The rest will probably need to wait until I get the machine and can find out myself (the hard way - lol).

Eddie
    I have just ordered as well - stopped hovering! I downloaded all the manuals, reference guides etc from the Brother US Site - so I should be an expert soon HAHA