Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

Question Which cut program to download

Hi can anyone help?, I'm very new to Silhouette [1 week] should I upgrade to DE and should I get Make the Cut?.

I know there is not a definite answer but there is so much to take in I want to try and make it as easy as possible by learning from you all.

I'm not very good with the computer but I do try.
    To have feed back from some who have already done it is great.
    Thank you for any help you can give.
    Sue

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (25)
    Hi Sue. I've got MTC but very rarely use it in fact I've never actually cut from this program. I have been using Inkscape for about 8 or 9 years (which is free software) then saving as a GSD to use in Robomaster the software that used to come with the machine but for about the last 3 years I have been using Inkscape and the free version of Studio which is the software that comes with the machine now. I recently upgraded to the DE of Studio and use that a lot although I still use Inkscape too. I resisted updating to the DE of Studio for a long time but when I saw a voucher on the internet that offered it for about £21 I decided to buy it and I'm glad I did so it might be worth checking the internet to see if any offers are available (mine was a download not a disc) sorry to be so long winded
    Last edited by DJG; 01-02-2014 at 09:57 PM.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (59)
    I would say work with Silhouette Studio for a while longer before paying for something else, unless you have found something you want to do that the free software cannot handle. You say you are not very good with the computer, so I would hate you to spend money on bells and whistles that you then feel intimidated by and do not use.

The Studio software is probably the best starting point for someone who is new to electronic cutting as it is relatively straighforward. I started off with Robomaster on an original Quickutz Silhouette machine and was able to do most things I needed to, but the Studio software made things a lot easier.

Unlike Doreen, I have never been able to get to grips with Inkscape - it is completely counter-intuitive to me, but then it is for so much more than just cutting.

I have been using Make the Cut for the past 3 years and love, love, love it. Amazing software, and great support from the developer and other MTC users, but it is a considered purchase. I got it originally to use with a Cricut, and now use it with three different cutters, so it was definitely money well spent for me, but YMMV, as they say.
    : o 0 PETRA 0 o :
    August 2013 week 1 challenge
    July 2013 1 x SLO= 10 points

View Gallery

I bought MTC so I could use it with my Cricut so haven't updated it because the ability to cut with a Cricut has been removed and I've still got my Cricut. When I said I've never cut from it what I should have said not with my Cameo or Portrait only my Cricut.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (59)
    As an aside...
    Doreen, you can run the latest version of MTC (4.6.1) alongside the one with the Cricut support, just make sure to install it to a different directory. There are lots more cool features available and the upgrade is free. If you did then want to cut with the Cricut, you can export as an SVG from MTC 4.6.1 and open it up in the old version.
    : o 0 PETRA 0 o :
    August 2013 week 1 challenge
    July 2013 1 x SLO= 10 points

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Petra View Post
    As an aside...
    Doreen, you can run the latest version of MTC (4.6.1) alongside the one with the Cricut support, just make sure to install it to a different directory. There are lots more cool features available and the upgrade is free. If you did then want to cut with the Cricut, you can export as an SVG from MTC 4.6.1 and open it up in the old version.
    I didn't know you could have both on the same computer thank you very much Petra

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (24)
    I'd stay with the standard version of Studio for now as there'll be somewhat less to learn to start with, and you'll get all the help you need in one place - here n our forum. If you've not had a cutter and are not too good with computers, it's best not to bite off more than you can chew at the moment. Wait until you're competent with the standard software, then you can consider an upgrade or change of software and make an educated decision when choosing: what another person finds best or easiest to understand/use may not be the same for you!

Different or more "function rich" software will not make you a better designer, and the standard version of Studio should be more than adequate until you find your designer feet. Then if you feel you need more options you can investigate alternatives. I learned with the original more basic Robo Master, and I could do virtually everything I wanted to make quite complex templates with this. Studio has just enabled me to do the same somewhat faster and more easily.

Rosemary
    "The main reason people buy those machines [Craft Robos] is to cut out words and lace doily patterns for their scrapbooks."

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    Thank you so much for all your help and advise. I will just play with what I've got for now.
    I just wondered if the DE would be easer to learn on.

I'm so glad I found this forum, well actuality the lady who sold me the Cameo told me about you all and said how nice and helpful you all were.

Thank you
    Sue

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (24)
    Essentially standard Studio and the Designer Edition are identical; DE just has some extra bells and whistles, so you'd have more things to get to grips with.

Rosemary
    "The main reason people buy those machines [Craft Robos] is to cut out words and lace doily patterns for their scrapbooks."