Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > General Scrapping

Notices

Loves playing with Studio BathBelle's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

Ikea - Questions

I will be kitting out my new craft room soon and there are a few things I want to ask about.....
    First, Kallax. I really want one 4 wide x 5 high but you can't get that combo. Has anyone tried putting a separate unit I high x 4 wide on top? If so, I assume they would both need to be secured to the wall. Maybe I could just have the 4 x 4 and put boxes along the top?

The Alex drawer unit, what are the internal dimensions of the drawers, please?

I will have more questions as I go along !

TIA
    Ruth

I'm in love!!! with crafting. LOL coolio1978's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (22)
    i have stacked a 1 x 5 on top of the 4x4 with a slight overhang on each side and there are no problems. It has stood fine for the last couple of years.
    Swaps: Advent Swap 2022, Christmas Gift Bag Goodie Swap, 2022 Christmas Stocking Swap, Christmas Tag Swap
    www.craftingwithashee.com

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

I've got the smaller Expedit stacked on top of the big one. Never had a problem - except for reaching the top where I have more stuff "stored" :-) Can't help with the Alex I'm afraid, but I love those drawers! lol

View Gallery

The Alex drawer measures 29 cm X 42.5 cm
    Gail
    ATC coin swap

View Gallery

Thanks Gail. So not quite big enough for 12x 12 then?
    Ruth

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by BathBelle View Post
    Thanks Gail. So not quite big enough for 12x 12 then?
    no, I use mine to store stamps and those small ikea jars with blooms buttons etc.
    Gail
    ATC coin swap

Let the good times roll......... CraftyPrincess's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (26)
    You can get the wider Alex drawer, it's something like 60cm square, bit bigger I think. You can use that one for 12x12 storage. This is really cute, https://www.pinterest.com/pin/274860383483346506/

I did a big change up recently and got the table legs and tops after having some of the more solid office furniture from IKEA and it's really annoying me because the legs are so wobbly so I'm looking at getting some of the drawers at some point to use instead. All the white stuff looks pretty but it's turning out not to be very functional

Just checked measurements on website:
    Assembled size
    Width: 67 cm
    Depth: 48 cm
    Height: 66 cm

Thanks for making me go look, now I have a wishlist!!
    Last edited by CraftyPrincess; 10-06-2015 at 05:00 PM.
    Leo

View Gallery

Thanks for that. Would you not go for white again? I can see the argument against with it getting dirty but just really want white! The Ikea sale starts on 12th June, I wonder if they'll have anything I want in it?
    Ruth

just don't call me The Boss MaryAnne's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (20)
    Don't forget to check the "hurt furniture" section by the checkout. We were in the ..Southampton? one a couple of weeks ago and they had a couple of the cube units (used to be Expidite I think - jeez, I'm shaky on detail thins morning LOL!) there. Chained to the wall, which made me laugh, like you would just slip it into your handbag and walk off with it.... But they were cheap from what I recall. I think one was red and one black, so OK not the best colour choices, but like 1/2 the price from what I remember. I could compromise of colour for a big savings...

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (7)
    They chain them to the wall so that they don't fall on anyone. When they are empty they are not very stable. It's a health & safety thing.
    My Blog
    Mixed Media ATC Swap
    Mixed Media ATC Swap 2

Let the good times roll......... CraftyPrincess's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (26)
    It's not so much as it getting dirty/messy because the tops are really cheap to replace it's more that the workspace furniture they do is the wood veneer but I wanted white so I got the cheaper one and it's not as solid as I was used to.
    One of the first things I did get on it was Promarker as it went through my paper right onto the white table top but I did get it off with baby wipe. I don't know what it is they put in baby wipes but they can get just about anything off anything!

One of the best things I've had from IKEA is the Kvissle newspaper rack. It fits in 12x12 and I use it for odd sheets, plain cardstock and scraps when I'm tidying up with it being right on the wall above the desk it makes it tidy and also grab able for the next project instead of putting stuff away and it not being in your face so you forget about it. They look a bit bendy in the photo but they don't bend it's that it sets them on an angle so it makes it easy to get them out. The picture shelves are good too because you can use them like I've done as like a desk tidy for notebooks and bits and pieces but also you can use them to put your work in progress on so it frees up desk top space for either if you want to have something new to work on for when you need something out of the way to dry.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CraftyPrincess; 11-06-2015 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Photo
    Leo

Just call me DC8!! daisychain888's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (14)
    ooh I'm jumping in on this thread with interest as I'm just in the process of having a new craft room and using Kallax Units!

Leo, what's the name of the white shelf you have next to the Kvissle please?

'people may forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel'

x Jayne x