Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > General Scrapping

Notices

Thread: UKS has MOVED!!

Threaded View

just don't call me The Boss MaryAnne's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (20)

UKS has MOVED!!

Just a heads up. We are planning to move the UKS database to a new server, running a new version of vB, the forum software.

The important thing to note is this will sever the relationship between UKS and x3 hosting. The reason for this is all down to costs. UKS is not producing any profit, and the higher hosting fees mean I am out of pocket, or will be before long. It's been great having Smax on tap to sort out problems but it's a luxury we can no longer afford

As previously mentioned, the HomePage will no longer be published. There will be a banner or a menu that has the links to all the classes and challenges, FOTW, Blog Bits, etc for ease of navigation

I toyed with the idea of just shutting UKS down, but there are still enough people who value it and I hate to just pull the plug. This is an attempt to keep it available. With luck, a very small payment from sponsors and the few £ coming in from Google ads and Skimwords will keep it afloat for a bit longer. But I'll see how things go for the next few months and decide if UKS has a future or not.

It is my hope that things will run pretty much the same, more or less. We will be down from 10:30 AM next Saturday, for as long as it takes. That could be a couple of hours, or a couple of days. All indications are a couple of hours, but it might be we just don't know what will happen till it happens. It's been months of preparation behind the scenes, but until the switch is flipped I don't know FOR SURE if the prep has been right

Over this week things may shuffle around a bit. A few things will disappear, a few things will move. When UKS comes back on the new server, under the new version, some things may not work as expected. I will hope to work thru those things one at a time, as they reveal themselves.

I've tried to ensure anything of significant value (like the CC classes and challenge classes) has been captured and moved into the forums but if you know of a hidden gem you fear I might have missed, feel free to say so.

And it's pretty interesting, the hidden gems in 10+ years of posts! I've found a fun historical thing to share - in 2009 a UKS member named EmilyLovedHim was interviewed by Jonathan Ross on the radio. This is the audio file of the interview. She discusses scrapbooking and UKS beginning about the 2 minute mark. Her passion for scrapbooking is obvious, even to JR, and maybe listening to it will re-ignite your passion as well.

Enjoy!
    Attached Files Attached Files