Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > General Scrapping

Notices

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: UKS has MOVED!!

just don't call me The Boss MaryAnne's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (20)

UKS has MOVED!!

Just a heads up. We are planning to move the UKS database to a new server, running a new version of vB, the forum software.

The important thing to note is this will sever the relationship between UKS and x3 hosting. The reason for this is all down to costs. UKS is not producing any profit, and the higher hosting fees mean I am out of pocket, or will be before long. It's been great having Smax on tap to sort out problems but it's a luxury we can no longer afford

As previously mentioned, the HomePage will no longer be published. There will be a banner or a menu that has the links to all the classes and challenges, FOTW, Blog Bits, etc for ease of navigation

I toyed with the idea of just shutting UKS down, but there are still enough people who value it and I hate to just pull the plug. This is an attempt to keep it available. With luck, a very small payment from sponsors and the few £ coming in from Google ads and Skimwords will keep it afloat for a bit longer. But I'll see how things go for the next few months and decide if UKS has a future or not.

It is my hope that things will run pretty much the same, more or less. We will be down from 10:30 AM next Saturday, for as long as it takes. That could be a couple of hours, or a couple of days. All indications are a couple of hours, but it might be we just don't know what will happen till it happens. It's been months of preparation behind the scenes, but until the switch is flipped I don't know FOR SURE if the prep has been right

Over this week things may shuffle around a bit. A few things will disappear, a few things will move. When UKS comes back on the new server, under the new version, some things may not work as expected. I will hope to work thru those things one at a time, as they reveal themselves.

I've tried to ensure anything of significant value (like the CC classes and challenge classes) has been captured and moved into the forums but if you know of a hidden gem you fear I might have missed, feel free to say so.

And it's pretty interesting, the hidden gems in 10+ years of posts! I've found a fun historical thing to share - in 2009 a UKS member named EmilyLovedHim was interviewed by Jonathan Ross on the radio. This is the audio file of the interview. She discusses scrapbooking and UKS beginning about the 2 minute mark. Her passion for scrapbooking is obvious, even to JR, and maybe listening to it will re-ignite your passion as well.

Enjoy!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Scrapping is my hobby Housework isn't Mary Buttons's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (5)
    again we thank you for all your hard work, I do hope it all goes as smoothly as possible and that UKS will continue. I for one would be really lost without the connection to all my friends here and I love the challenges and do at least the weekly one every week.
    Scrappycats Team Green Button house
    My Blog Mary's Musings

Dedicated Scrapper Voodoo Vixen's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (12)
    Aaaw, lovely to listen to Bagpuss/Helen talk about scrapping!
    Annette There are no mistakes in crafting... just opportunities for more embellishments!

Scrap Happens Here Blog

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    That was interesting, I wonder if Johnathon Ross did come on to see what we all get up to. Woudn't it be good to learn he was a secret scrapper!!
    Chris

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (25)
    A very interesting listen, thank you. What you do is much appreciated and I hope UKS will continue.

Chatty papercrafter elainevking's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (16)
    It was this clip that first got me to look at UKS! I then took another 2 years to actually start...but the rest, as they say, is history!

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    thanks for letting us know what is happening

I was wondering if I should post the weekly challenge on Friday???Instead of Monday in case there are problems?? Will give people longer to do it and if UKS isn't working on Monday it will be done already. Also I am away for some of next week so may be tricky to do it otherwise what do you think??

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (24)
    I will try and listen to that later, sounds good

Thanks for all you are doing Mary Anne. I would be lost without UKS, the challenges keep me scrapping. I will be telling everyone to come and support this wonderful site x
    Alison

SNAP 2022 BTCR 2022

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    Hope this lovely site will continue. It's full of information, and there
    is always someone who will help if you get stuck..
    Thanks Mary Anne.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (19)
    I also love this site, I dont post very often but I do get some great ideas and fantastic support from fellow scrappers, I hope the move goes well.
    Thank you for all your hard work.

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by furrypig View Post
    thanks for letting us know what is happening

I was wondering if I should post the weekly challenge on Friday???Instead of Monday in case there are problems?? Will give people longer to do it and if UKS isn't working on Monday it will be done already. Also I am away for some of next week so may be tricky to do it otherwise what do you think??
    I am not opposed to that! Maybe as a further challenge, see if you can complete the layout over the weekend

Then on Monday everyone can share.

Funny, but I have been looking in the archives, as you know. A long time ago I wrote "Scrap Musings" - just some little bits of commentary on UKS, on Scrapping, on anything that touched on this obsession. One of the ones I found was posted during another time when UKS was going thru a move or an upgrade. I'm betting it will strike a chord this time as well

=============
    In preparation for UKS going down on Monday, I am prompted to muse about what we will all be doing for the day.

Cleaning the house? I know it's on my list of favourite activities - NOT! Laundry? Oh it is endless, isn't it? No sooner do I get every article of clothing cleaned, dried and put away then the family WILL insist on wearing them and getting them dirty all over again. Typical. Tidying my scrapbook space? oh, yes. This should be an ongoing thing but it never seems to get to top priority. Reading a good book? I have a stack by the bed that grows daily, not to mention the scrapbooking mags and idea books that I seem to acquire then never find the time to actually read.

What about some actual scrapbooking? Oh joy! That would be bliss, if I could push aside all the other things that cry out for my attention. I would spend a couple of hours perusing the photos I've got uploaded, selecting ones that have been begging to be turned into layouts. I could cast my mind back, letting the memories triggered by the photos wash over me. Jotting down a few notes, considering what sort of page best captures that day in the park, the not very good snaps of that birthday party, try to remember the name of that cat Maddie spent an afternoon playing with at that castle, I'd be buzzing with ideas.

I would then sit with a cuppa and some music on, spending another couple of hours selecting papers, embellishments, printing journaling and cutting titles. I'd assemble all my page packs, neatly organized, clean the gunk off my microtip scissors, put a new blade in my trimmer, make sure my Hermafix dispensers were full and plan to settle in for a long session making art. My desk would beckon me.

But then what? Well, knowing my luck one of two things would happen - Maddie's bus would come trundling up the drive, delivering my gorgeous, but very demanding, daughter home from school, and the whirlwind would sweep all thought of productivity from my head. Or that little bing, bong would call out from the Mac, telling me Smax was bringing UKS back up. And with regret the pages would get pushed to the back of my desk for another week, or two, or three.

So do tell - what do you have planned? or depending on when you read this, what did YOU do while the site was down?
    ===========

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (13)
    Mary Anne you do a fantastic job! I would not like to see UKS close as I find it a great source of inspiration. I have not long joined a team and i really enjoy the chat with my teamies!
    Fingers crossed for a smooth cross over.
    Sharon
    Addicted to stash!!

THE ALLSORTS
    Green Buttons House...

The Packaging Queen!
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (7)
    Quick question Mary Anne, will we have to re-register?

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (2)
    I am one that still uses UKS but don't post so often. I am still scrapbooking - and have been teaching workshops for the past 20 months, so am usually planning/designing/preparing etc.

I have been with UKS since 2002, so am one of the 'oldies' and proud of it!

Will we still be keeping our PMs and personal info or will they disappear/do we have to do that all over again?

I do what I love and I love what I do.
    It's My Life!
    Glendale - Plot 138

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Jill@ATDML View Post
    Quick question Mary Anne, will we have to re-register?
    No, that shouldn't be required.