Quote Originally Posted by MaryAnne View Post
DON'T PANIC!

This really and truly should be a seamless process. All that will happen, baring any totally off the wall problem, is that the entire database will be snapshot at a set point, we will sync both the old server database and the NEW server database.

We'll upgrade vB on the NEw server, fix the UKS style theme, fix any bits an bobs that break (and by that I mean plug-ins for example, that make vB work the way we want it to) and then we will switch the DNS (Domain Name Server) so that when someone types in UKScrappers .co .uk they will be pointed to the new server, not the old one.

There will be a message over the site, while we are down and it will get changed if there is a bigger problem.

And the OLD server has about a week to run, so anything that disappears (and we have been testing an old snapshot of the database for months now, so I am pretty confident that should be minimal) we still have a chance to get it.

There will likely be some cosmetic changes, there will be some functional changes, but they are things that are part of the new up-to-date version. The ones I have seen are at least as good as the current ones, but I won;t deny there are things that may take some getting used to. What those are, I don't know - they may be different for everyone.

We'll be testing things most of the day, till we are confident that it is all working well, then UKS will return and

YOU WILL NOT need to re-register
YOU WILL NOT lose you PMs
YOUR BOOKMARKS TO UKS SHOULD WORK - unless you have a bookmark to anything to do with the HOME PAGE.

The HOMEPAGE WILL BE GONE. I have been madly copying stuff from the archives over to the forums. A lot of that is hidden from you for the moment.

IF ANYONE HAS THE PDFS and IMAGES from the Mardi Gras CC LET ME KNOW!

All I can find is 20 messaged from Fi (ScrappyBunny) saying they will appear in the library "soon" - think that ship has sailed....

I will plan on posting and pinning anything to my blog here

That is the best way I can think of at the moment for contacting me other than email to ma (at) id .com (you know the format but I get enough spam so I'm not going to type it and make it easy for the spammers to scrape it )

Of course, there is always the chance things could go pear-shaped but I am hoping all the prep and testing is going to minimize the chances of that.

We can all send good thoughts out into cyberspace for a smooth and speedy upgrade Can't hurt....

Thank you for the information. I've added a link on the Robo forum directing them to this post and hopefully those who read it will add your blog to their favourites so they can keep up. I hope everything goes smoothly for you.