Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > General Scrapping

Notices

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (21)

Big Shot not working!

I have had a Big Shot for 6 or 7 years, I have used it loads of times and love it. It has suddenly stopped working - when I try to turn the handle it makes a cranking noise and doesn't turn. Does anyone have any idea what's wrong? I am tempted to unscrew the cover and take it to bits, but would be grateful for any advice first thanks x

just don't call me The Boss MaryAnne's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (20)
    I had similar happen with my Grand Calibur (two of them, actually) and with the 2nd one I contacted Spellbinders who arranged it to be collected, repaired and returned. The FIRST one, a friend of ours who is a fabrication/metalworker took it to bits and found it was the gears, which had a few broken "teeth" on them. They were very specific to the GC, not the kind of thing you could just order and replace.

So you COULD take it apart but it night not help. You COULD try contacting Sizzix and see if they will fix or replace it but a quick look at the warranty online seems to say they won't.

Oddly, I did ind this pinterest link https://www.pinterest.com/soniasv/big-shot-repair/ - have a look!

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (89)
    This happened to mine... Took it to bits to find the gears were all misaligned.. Put it back together again and it was fine.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    My Big Shot did this earlier this year, it is easy to undo the screws etc. He found that it was actually rusty inside, so he cleaned it and realigned things and it has been great since.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (21)
    Thanks ever so much ladies, I will have a go at taking it apart

Desperately seeking scraptime.... CoventryAnn's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (3)
    I think if it is so old you have nothing to lose by opening it up to see what's happening inside as it will be out of warranty anyway. My (also old!) Big Shot did something similar a year or so ago, when we opened it up there was some paper and dust in the gears, a quick clean and it was good as new again.
    http://coventryann.blogspot.com/
    mAR Points -SLO 7x10 = 70 DLO x10= WklyChall wk1= wk2= wk3=25 wk 4= ;House chall= SimpRec = Cards 5x10= 50 SLYMIR 4 x30=120 Total = 265 SLYMI Reboot total 5/7

Have caught a bug! Scrapping! Allyj50's Avatar
    1 mile from EastLancs A580 Golborne island between Manchester and Liverpool
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (49)
    AND the same happened to my Pink Big Kick about 3 years ago and a friend's husband had a look at it for me and repaired it ... Its as good as new but my usual Big Shot has similar problems as does one of my Sidekicks, so possibly I should consider opening them up .........!
    aLLy x
    Glitterbugs Team Member Blue Brads House
    Back after a 2 year break for PL info

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    You should contact sizzix, their customer service is second to none i know more than a few people (on another forum) who have been sent spare parts for their machines, free of charge. If you explain the problem to them then they can normally help. x

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (5)
    When mine had same problem my engineer hubby dismantled it and the bearings had seized up and were non standard size so could not be replaced easily. Hobbycraft had a deal on at the time and he bought me a new machine. I didn't go back to Sizzix as I had had it for several years and used it a lot.