Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Curio

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)

Curio

Has anyone who has bought one of these got any feedback please? I am intending to buy one but it would be really useful to have your thoughts/experiences on it. Has anyone had any problems with embossing and then cutting - ie does the embossing mat get damaged when cutting? I know you have recently bought one Doreen, have you had chance to get to grips with it yet?
    Sylvia x
    My Blog

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (25)
    Quote Originally Posted by SylviaF View Post
    Has anyone who has bought one of these got any feedback please? I am intending to buy one but it would be really useful to have your thoughts/experiences on it. Has anyone had any problems with embossing and then cutting - ie does the embossing mat get damaged when cutting? I know you have recently bought one Doreen, have you had chance to get to grips with it yet?
    So far only done the embossing but I think my card is to thick Sylvia.
    Shirley said she used 250gsm to do hers so I've just ordered some of that this morning. it seems to be more effective when embossing and scoring although I haven't tried that yet. I did wonder about the cutting after watching Brian's video a couple of times and no mention of changing the mat to the one for cutting....perhaps Shirley could clarify that for us.
    Last edited by DJG; 15-08-2015 at 01:02 PM.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    Ooooooo Doreen how exciting when did it arrive?

Dedicated Card Maker - Limited Sponsor - Shirley Anne's Avatar
    View Gallery

I have embossed and cut on the same mat but have been very careful to do test cuts first to make sure the cut isn't too deep and so far my mat is OK - seems a bit like a self healing mat. I have tried embossing then changing to the cutting mat for the cut but I can't get it to line up. My mat has lost some of it's stickiness already but is still working OK. I have wiped it over with damp cloth and that seems to have revived it a bit but am not willing to try repositionable spray until it is well worn out as I'm afraid it could really damage the soft surface if it stuck too much to your card. I would say that for me debossing gives a crisper finish than embossing. In the attached photo I just debossed, without scoring then cut. I used pen fill too but should have reduced the thickness as the setting in the software is too high and it nearly went through my card !!
    Attached Images Attached Images

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by ellygreen View Post
    Ooooooo Doreen how exciting when did it arrive?
    It came on Thursday Helen

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Shirley Anne View Post
    I have embossed and cut on the same mat but have been very careful to do test cuts first to make sure the cut isn't too deep and so far my mat is OK - seems a bit like a self healing mat. I have tried embossing then changing to the cutting mat for the cut but I can't get it to line up. My mat has lost some of it's stickiness already but is still working OK. I have wiped it over with damp cloth and that seems to have revived it a bit but am not willing to try repositionable spray until it is well worn out as I'm afraid it could really damage the soft surface if it stuck too much to your card. I would say that for me debossing gives a crisper finish than embossing. In the attached photo I just debossed, without scoring then cut. I used pen fill too but should have reduced the thickness as the setting in the software is too high and it nearly went through my card !!
    It's lovely Shirley did you use 250gsm card with this too

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by DJG View Post
    It's lovely Shirley did you use 250gsm card with this too
    No this was on thinner card Doreen but without the score as when I tried that it cut right through even though the blade was on one, I should may be have tried with a thinner shim but I couldn't be bothered !! It a bit of a learning game I think. I have had really good results with thicker pearl card though so it may depend on the card finish as well.

View Gallery

No this was on thinner card Doreen but without the score as when I tried that it cut right through even though the blade was on one, I should may be have tried with a thinner shim but I couldn't be bothered !! It a bit of a learning game I think. I have had really good results with thicker pearl card though so it may depend on the card finish as well.
    Thanks Shirley. I agree there is more to it than with the Cameo and Portrait. i think I'll try the embossing on some 160gsm card that I've already got but I wont get the chance till monday

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Thanks for the replies Doreen and Shirley. The card is lovely Shirley. I imagine that the pearlised card/paper would give the best results, although it is a bit disappointing that the deboss gives a better finish than the emboss. I wonder if you could work from the wrong side of the card, flip your design and deboss so that when you turn it over it is embossed? Does that make any sense - probably not!
    Sylvia x
    My Blog

View Gallery

Thanks for the replies Doreen and Shirley. The card is lovely Shirley. I imagine that the pearlised card/paper would give the best results, although it is a bit disappointing that the deboss gives a better finish than the emboss. I wonder if you could work from the wrong side of the card, flip your design and deboss so that when you turn it over it is embossed? Does that make any sense - probably not!
    It would be worth trying Sylvia.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by DJG View Post
    Thanks Shirley. I agree there is more to it than with the Cameo and Portrait. i think I'll try the embossing on some 160gsm card that I've already got but I wont get the chance till monday
    I think I saw on a blog to use cotton card stock. Seems it's a bit *softer*. I can't remember which blog sorry.
    Keep us posted, please! xx

View Gallery

When you choose Emboss the software tells you that your design will be flipped and to put your card face down Sylvia. It's only a personal opinion that I prefer the deboss and also a lot depends on the card you are using - still experimenting with different different card stock but I am very happy with the machine. For the attached photo I debossed using pearl card and it came out really well. Am going to try print and emboss today.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Shirley Anne; 16-08-2015 at 08:53 AM.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

When you choose Emboss the software tells you that your design will be flipped and to put your card face down Sylvia. It's only a personal opinion that I prefer the deboss and also a lot depends on the card you are using - still experimenting with different different card stock but I am very happy with the machine. For the attached photo I debossed using pearl card and it came out really well. Am going to try print and emboss today.
    Oh I see Shirley. The baubles are very impressive indeed. I would love to see how you get on with print and emboss Shirley. I really want to order a Curio and the only thing that's stopping me at the moment is the old enemy time! I gather that it will be time consuming to really get accustomed to the machine and all it can do and I have such a lot going on at home at the moment I haven't got the time to do it justice. I am so impressed with what you have achieved with it so far Shirley and it is very kind of you to share your growing expertise.
    Sylvia x
    My Blog

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (24)
    Girls,during the week I contacted Brian from graphic.he said the embossing mat is self healing,as said by you already,gentle marks are okay he says,I am loving doing the filled in lettering on greeting.

Susannah

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by catseyes View Post
    Girls,during the week I contacted Brian from graphic.he said the embossing mat is self healing,as said by you already,gentle marks are okay he says,I am loving doing the filled in lettering on greeting.

Susannah
    It would be nice to yours as well as Shirley's Susannah