Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (3)

Clear sticker paper help!!

Afternoon!

I have been trying to do a print and cut with a sheet of the silhouette clear sticker paper. I have 2 issues! The first is that the machine no longer wants to recognise the registration marks (I have 2 depths of cuts - it was fine for the first set which cut spot on, it will not now detect the marks to allow me to go back and cut the second set). I cannot figure out how to get around this - it's driving me barmy!!

The second issue is getting the machine to kiss cut the clear sticker sheet so it does not go through the backing! I'm making some little planer stickers so have set up a series of small kiss cuts inside a bigger square which should cut all the way through. The all through cut was great but I can't get the settings for the kiss cut right and have now been at this for hours and am nearly halfway through my pack of paper! It always goes either right through everything or doesn't cut all the way through the clear sheet, it simply seems to be scoring the surface. The settings I'm using (and variations of) are blade 6, speed 4 and thickness 8.

Any hints or tips would be most gratefully received!!!

ETA - I am using a cricut not silhouette mat in case this makes a difference!

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (4)
    do you have a silhouette mat you could try, just in case the positioning of the Cricut mat is slightly different

What settings is it cutting all the way through on? the defaults in the software are blade 3 and thickness 33 - if a blade of 6 is only scoring it your blade may have some damage or be a bit worn

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (3)
    Thanks for the reply! I've set up the Cricut mat so that paper etc is positioned the same as a silhouette mat. With a bit more fiddling about I've found that it reads the reg marks fine the first time I run it through and then cannot find them after that! I was starting to wonder about my blade (although it's not that old!!) as I eventually got the right cut depth for a kiss cut but by the time it reached the end of the page it has not cut as well. Perhaps I'll change the blade and then try the recommended settings - the cut through was blade 6, speed 5, thickness 30. I used that based on someone else's recommendation rather than the default settings!

Hmm...so frustrating to have wasted so much paper on test cuts and failed attempts....get there eventually though!!

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    I don't use the silhouette sticker paper but one I buy from the big river site and use blade depth one which I find just cuts the top sheet and not the backing sheet if that helps.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    I can't help with the sticker paper problem but i had real trouble the other day with doing a print and cut job ( i too use the green branded mats) and i thought i had it sussed with my positioning but then it stopped reading the marks for some reason, like you i was at the end of my tether(and certain paper, lol) so i just kept trying it with copy paper, shifting the mat to the left and right of the guide, trying it manually etc and some how it hit it but i actually had my paper way beyond the grid guide so i carefully used masking tape while the copy paper was still in position then tried it with my good stuff and it worked. If it helps at all my paper was right up to the outer edge of the numbers, to the point where you can't see the numbers at all, that's all i can sugest for the cutting part. I hope you get it sorted because it is so frustrating.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Do you know the weight of paper?

For the paper I use (130gsm) I generally have Blade 2, speed 6 thickness varying between 24-28 depending on state of my mat.

Hope that helps.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Try reducing the blade size to 1; speed 1; and thickness to 25.and see. I cut a smooth white 160gsm at blade2; thickness 26; and speed2
    Hope this helps.