Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

Norfolk - just at the end of the yellow brick road
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

Curio to be discontinued

I read on a well known Silhouette site that the Curio is to be discontinued sometime this year. No firm information was given, just that it will no longer be produced. The post on the site said there was no info as to whether a new model would take it's place. It seems that mats etc will still be available - although they may become hard to find as people may buy them up if they are dedicated Curio users.

Hope everyone is well

Cheers, Andi

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    Goodness Andi that is a surprise! I had a curio when they first came out, mainly for its embossing capability but I was so disappointed with the poor results I sold it within a couple of months or so.
    Sylvia x
    My Blog

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (25)
    I still have mine but haven't used it in a long time hopefully if I decide to blow the dust off at some point it will still work

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (2)
    I still have mine but not used it for quite a while. Like Sylvia bought it for mainly embossing and was disappointed with the results. I have used it for etching on metal sheets a few times. Also have slate coasters ready to etch but not got around to doing it.

Dedicated Card Maker - Limited Sponsor - Shirley Anne's Avatar
    View Gallery

Haven’t used mine for ages either - I too found the embossing disappointing. A couple of the members of the Silhouette Beta testing group are authorised Silhouette tutors for the Curio in the US and nothing has been mentioned in the group about it being discontinued - if it’s true I’m sure there will be a lot of comments on there so I will keep my eyes peeled !!

View Gallery

The site it is on is the "School" site, obviously can't post a link because it is commercial but I'm sure you know which one I mean, I just looked again and nothing has been added. I did notice that the Curio is sold out on the Graphtec site. I don't belong to any group since the google one closed down so don't see the gossip. I don't do FaceBook which I dislike with a passion. I think there is a bit of a following with people who work with thicker materials like wood, but I have to agree that mine is not used anything like enough to justify the space it occupies.

Stay safe folks
    Andi

View Gallery

Perhaps they will become a Collectors item and we can sell them for a small fortune

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Shirley Anne View Post
    Perhaps they will become a Collectors item and we can sell them for a small fortune
    Funny you should say that Shirley Anne, cos a similar thought entered my mind. The Cam4, whilst it has good cutting force and depth, is limited in that the two different tool holders aren't totally interchangeable plus the extra force is only on one of them and, whilst I am definitely no expert on the kinds of media that are being cut on the Curio, I'm not sure the Cam4 would be a perfect substitute for it. So it does suggest that some kind of new machine may be in the pipeline somewhere. I am beginning to lose interest a bit, all the new machines and the short term nature of them seems just a tad OTT (give me back my beloved CraftRobo, things were much simpler then). The Curio stands alone really and if someone has a little business going which relies on a Curio they may look to source a well looked after replacement to tuck away...now that would be a novelty - a second hand machine that you can sell because it has a niche market out there! You may even find a company is willing to buy your machine to resell, you might not get a fortune but you are guaranteed your market if there is a good level of interested punters. Hark at me, you'd be forgiven for thinking I know what I'm talking about rather than just a dreamer.

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by AndiDee View Post
    Funny you should say that Shirley Anne, cos a similar thought entered my mind. The Cam4, whilst it has good cutting force and depth, is limited in that the two different tool holders aren't totally interchangeable plus the extra force is only on one of them and, whilst I am definitely no expert on the kinds of media that are being cut on the Curio, I'm not sure the Cam4 would be a perfect substitute for it. So it does suggest that some kind of new machine may be in the pipeline somewhere. I am beginning to lose interest a bit, all the new machines and the short term nature of them seems just a tad OTT (give me back my beloved CraftRobo, things were much simpler then). The Curio stands alone really and if someone has a little business going which relies on a Curio they may look to source a well looked after replacement to tuck away...now that would be a novelty - a second hand machine that you can sell because it has a niche market out there! You may even find a company is willing to buy your machine to resell, you might not get a fortune but you are guaranteed your market if there is a good level of interested punters. Hark at me, you'd be forgiven for thinking I know what I'm talking about rather than just a dreamer.
    Who knows Andi shall have wait and see I tend to use my Curio with my Foil Quill as I seem to get a better result with the firmer base but to be honest I wouldn't miss it if I didn't have it. Also personally I prefer my Cameo 3 to the 4 because I like being able to use pens in the 2nd holder which you can't on the C4. In fact I think I have only used the 2nd holder on the C4 a couple of times and the results with the Kraft and Rotary Blades haven't been overly impressive - I'm pleased I didn't let the C3 go.

View Gallery

When I was considering whether to buy a new machine a couple of years back I weighed up the Cam4 against the 3, did quite a lot of research and opted to buy a 3 before they became sold out and unobtainable. I still have my Cam2 boxed up. I liked the 2 and really debated in my mind whether the cost of the 3 was worth it as I had the double carriage in the Curio. I'm glad I did go for the 3; as you say it is useful to use pens without having to faff about changing from blade to pen like you have to in the 2. I haven't seen a single thing to make me think I made a mistake not getting the 4. I have a Pazzles machine - had it for years and seldom use it now, but that was/is an awesome cutter in its day. The lack of an optical eye makes it a pain for print and cut though, and I used to do a lot of that so Silhouette better filled my requirements, plus having technical backup here in the UK clinched it.

Andi