Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

The dream is in the making! donswish's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

best way to cut??

Hello i have had few problems with my craftrobo but was just after some advise,
    What is the stand off ring for ,should i use it?
    What is the best way to cut bazzil?
    And why can't i set the origin to cut again?
    Thanks for any help!

missy p
    You should always use the stand-off ring if you are using the cutting mat. It helps to stabilise the blade and gives a better cut - it works the opposite way to what you would expect helping to cut thick card more easily. Don't use it if you are cutting Xyron backed paper or sticky backed vinyl, though, you would probably cut right through the backing.

For Bazzill I prefer to mirror whatever I'm cutting and put the card in with the plain side up. You may find that it cuts better using two stand-off rings instead of one.
    Sometimes with thicker card like this you have to cut twice and an easy way to do it is to cut and paste all of your cut lines, leaving them on top of the original. Don't duplicate any fold lines, though, as this might make them cut all the way through.

Sorry, I don't understand your last question about setting the origin.

View Gallery

Thank you, on the page that comes up before you press cut their is a button you press that sets the origin this is so when you cut again it cuts in the same place providing you don't move your card,( or so i was lead to believe) i was shown how to do this but for some reason the button does not hilight so i can click it .
    so far i have been recutting mine by just not taking the paper out again and pressing cut! It works 9 times out of 10 but ocasionally the paper slides!
    thanks for your help how do you reverse a word to cut on the back side?

missy p
    The cut and paste method will work every time. I've never heard of the origin setting thing, sorry.

To mirror a word, select it then click on one of the side triangles and drag to the opposite side - sort of through the word. Easier to do than describe. It's wise to check the position settings first to make sure that you can re-set the size if you accidentally distort the text.

View Gallery

thank you that seems easier than i thought!

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by donswish
    Hello i have had few problems with my craftrobo but was just after some advise,
    What is the stand off ring for ,should i use it?
    What is the best way to cut bazzil?
    And why can't i set the origin to cut again?
    Thanks for any help!
    I can help you with the origin problem, it is a bit complicated to explain tonight. Lucylogic is to blame I am sitting here with match sticks keeping my eyelids open

I will be at a crop all day tomorrow, so can I get back to you on this tomorrow night.

Newbie Starter pack and cheat sheets here

Repeat after me "Google Is My Friend"

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    I always get the blame for something, good job I've got broad shoulders How about posting that tutorial, or in my case a very long one, on here for others in case they are having the same problem as me, I'm sure it will help someone else. Many thanks though, it is appreciated

View Gallery

I have thought several times about posting it, but if things start to go wrong people will panic, I suppose I could and if they have any problems they can email me. I will think about it.

Please take my credit card away!!!!!! Tosca's Avatar
    View Gallery

Hmmm, another interesting one. I have never, ever used the 'set origin' for anything. I've never found it necessary. My machine just seems to get it right on it's own. (touch wood).

Also, depending on which software you have, you may have a mirror option in your edit menu. One click and it's done.
    LORRAINE

I'm not a complete idiot.......some pieces are missing!

View Gallery

As promised instructions for using "set origin" and what it does, contrary to what you may have been told it is not used for doing double cuts and when you click on the set origin button you will hear and see absolutley nothing.

I will try to explain how useful it is first. Lets suppose you have just cut an image and closed the on screen document and you decide to cut something else using the same piece of card, where do you place the image on your document to avoid cutting in the hole left by your previous cut?

When I am trying things out I use a pen and printer paper, by using the set origin option, I can draw image after image until the whole piece of paper is filled without having to move the image on the screen.

How to use Set Origin.
    I always work with the document in landscape.
    Place your image in the bottom left hand corner of the on screen document, you can drag it to that position, but I always right click on the image, select 'position settings' and type 0 in the xy co-ordinate boxes.
    Click cut
    Click OK
    In the CraftRobo Controller window where it says Blade Position, use the black arrows to move the blade to where on your card you want the image to start cutting.
    Click Set Origin
    Click Cut.

A bit of information you might find useful - when you highlight an image there is a little red square in the bottom left hand corner of the blue box, this is the point of origin, this is the starting point for every cut. If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask and I hope I have explained everything OK and that it helps.

View Gallery

Thanks Lucille, now I know a bit more :-)

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Thanks Lucille
    That has made things clearer
    Jane

View Gallery

Apparently it has not made things clearer for some people. So I am working on a small tutorial with an explantion of why you would want to use it.

Please take my credit card away!!!!!! Tosca's Avatar
    View Gallery

Thanks, Lucille. A good bit of info. I might actually use my point of origin now.
    LORRAINE

I'm not a complete idiot.......some pieces are missing!

View Gallery

Thanks Tosca, you mean you understood it?