Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > Cardmaking

Notices

Thread: heat embossing

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (64)

heat embossing

Can I ask for some help please?

I am 'trying' to heat emboss, I know how to do it but I still have a few problems. Now I am using ink it up pigment ink clear and a rubber stamp. I stamp the image add heat it up power, shake off the excess then use a heat it up gun to emboss. Now thats fine, its an outline stamp and works perfectly but on the next step I am stuck.

I want to fill this stmap in and emboss it. So once stage one is done I then use a whispers embossing marker and fill the heart in, add powder, shake it off and heat. But its not coming out flat iyswim. The whole area is embossing but there are 'craters' upon the surface. Is this where the powder hasnt stuck? Its perfect for this project however as its supposed to be a rustic heart but how can I make it flat for future projects?

Thanks

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (27)
    Right baby, I think what s hapening there is the paper absorbs your ink at diferent rates so you end up with thicker areas and thinner ones, just try and go over the whole lot again with your marker pour the powder over it and heat again, that should even the whole image out.
    MONICA GALE

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (8)
    Also, I have to say that Heat It Up ink and powders are not the best really.

Much better off with a better quality ink and powder - won't name them, because most are better that the Heat It Up ones.
    Claire xxx
    Braving it by adding my (boring) blog

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (64)
    Thanks monica, I did do that but it made the image too raised. I think I am not heating it enough but then sometimes if i heat it too much it goes ickie I dont think I am very good at this technique

Thanks claire, I got them all in a package when I brought the heat it up gun. Thats why I havent 'tryed' anything else . I may do now however and see how i get on before i give up on embossing

Thanks all

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (106)
    I the versamark embossing pad/pen. I have several makes of powders, but have to say I've not noticed any problems with the Heat It Up ones -- could be 'cos I'm using them on the Versamark ink

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    I've been making cards for some 13 years and nearly everytime someone has said they struggle to stamp it's because of ink it up pads. Sorry to any sponsor who carries them but in my and a lot of other people opinion they should be banned.

Get a nice versamark pad for embossing & a versafine or stayzon for plain stamping. Some of the heat it up powders are ok but you never know until you open the pot & try them. Look for detail embossing powder to get the best results.

View Gallery

I totally agree with you on that one but didn twant to say so I didn t upset people, I dont even buy pigment ones in colours I just use versamark and normal dye ink pads (SU of course), what I do is I ink in versa first then I ink in the dye based pad and stamp you can then emboss over the top. Ink pads is one good think I like about SU once you have them all or the ones you like most you can re ink them so in long term they are far better value and they are far more pigmented than the ones on the market. Sorry I ll get off my high horse now
    MONICA GALE

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by passionflower View Post
    what I do is I ink in versa first then I ink in the dye based pad and stamp you can then emboss over the top.
    Confused! So do you ink the same image twice in the same place? How do you manage to be precise enough to do that? I have a stamp placement system, but still never get in exactly the same place twice -- I can't even manage it with clear acrylic stamps

View Gallery

Sorry didn t mean to confuse you , you only stamp once but you ink the stamp twice first in versamark and then in the dye based pad and then stamp, what happens the colour goes on first on your paper and the versamark stays at the top enabling you to emboss the top. Its really easy and like I said saves a load of money on unecesary pigment pads.
    MONICA GALE

View Gallery

Thanks Would never have thought of that -- may have to give it a try, though at the moment I have embossing powder in loads of colours so I only need to stamp in Versamark anyway

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Poor products and people pennypinching on important things are my 2 biggest highhorses. Never ceases to amaze me when people moan they cant cut with a blade but only use the 10 for £1 snap off knives or use el cheapo tatty card then spend ££s on embellies to plonk on it.

Thanks for the tip on using versamark & dye ink together, next time I get the rubber out I'll have a play.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (55)
    What a great idea Monica
    I would never have thought of doing that myself! Thankyou
    Fiona xx

View Gallery

I don't have any problems with my heat it up stuff, I use the pigment too. Have to say though, I do only use it for covering chipboard, which it is really great for. Not sure what it is like on normal paper, I may give it a go.

CarolynP | Bop | Kirsteen | melaniejgage | Monica | Sarahbert1536 | Scrapijacqui | tinkerbellie | loisalexis | OverTheRainbow - the Absolutely Scrapulous Girls!