Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Loves playing with Studio BathBelle's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    I bought my Cameo on Create and Craft's Pick of the Day a few weeks ago and DE was free with it.

Ruth

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (25)
    Quote Originally Posted by BathBelle View Post
    I bought my Cameo on Create and Craft's Pick of the Day a few weeks ago and DE was free with it.

Ruth
    Ah I see

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (2)
    I bought the Design Edition upgrade from Graphtec in January. Alright I don't use or for that matter understand all the extra's but three I find really useful.

I really like that it will open svg files. I do use the cross hairs and rulers for positioning when using the drawing tools. The rubber seems to work better and I can use different sizes and a circle or straight line.

The downside is no information in the manual on the Designer Edition extra tools. No idea at all what the 'shear tool' would be used for.

View Gallery

I agree about the cross hairs. When I first opened it I thought "Ugh must get those off the screen, they're going to bug me" but now I find them really useful for positioning/selecting and I don't notice them the rest of the time.

Ruth

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (24)
    I looked at the extra options and decided there would be enough there that I'd personally find useful for it to be worth me getting.

I like the additional functions for the knife tools - not the actual fancy cuts (though the serrated one might do for scallops..) - but the fact that I can curve my cuts.

I also appreciate being able to open svg files without having to go the dxf route, and I really like the undocumented option in a couple of earlier versions (1.9 and I believe v2.00) that also enables you to save as svg files too.

I've not yet used the shear option, but I can see that it's probably gpoing to be very handy when I'm drawing geometric shapes and need precise angles.

Rosemary
    "The main reason people buy those machines [Craft Robos] is to cut out words and lace doily patterns for their scrapbooks."

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by dozyrosy View Post
    I looked at the extra options and decided there would be enough there that I'd personally find useful for it to be worth me getting.

I like the additional functions for the knife tools - not the actual fancy cuts (though the serrated one might do for scallops..) - but the fact that I can curve my cuts.
    Rosemary
    The fancy cut knives won't do curvy cuts, it is a straight line or nothing
    Last edited by Lucille; 08-03-2012 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Didn't explain very well

Newbie Starter pack and cheat sheets here

Repeat after me "Google Is My Friend"

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (24)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    The fancy cut knives won't do curvy cuts, it is a straight line or nothing
    Oh knickers... And there was me thinking I might find a use for them!
    Rosemary
    "The main reason people buy those machines [Craft Robos] is to cut out words and lace doily patterns for their scrapbooks."

View Gallery

I can understand the screen shot showing the knife settings could be deceiving, sorry to disappoint.

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    Sorry I don't understand can you explain more? Are you talking about tracing JPEGs or a file of mixed cutting files?
    Example: there is a craft magazine that does a free double page of digital images each month, which is great except they come all higgledy piggledy on the page (jpg download) So in order to use a single image you have to cut round it. You can't always do it with a rectangle or circle and crop it as they are all jumbled together. I have been known to spend an evening cutting them all apart so that if I want to use one of the images they are all ready for use. When I only had the straight knife it was a laborious job with single straight lines all round the image, now I can cut round it in one go with the freehand knife - not so neat but does the job.

Ruth

View Gallery

Example: there is a craft magazine that does a free double page of digital images each month, which is great except they come all higgledy piggledy on the page (jpg download) So in order to use a single image you have to cut round it. You can't always do it with a rectangle or circle and crop it as they are all jumbled together. I have been known to spend an evening cutting them all apart so that if I want to use one of the images they are all ready for use. When I only had the straight knife it was a laborious job with single straight lines all round the image, now I can cut round it in one go with the freehand knife - not so neat but does the job.

Ruth
    Ah, I see what you mean.

I don't know if this would help you any, but when I want to select an image or images from a collage of images, I use the Autotrace, get as close as I can with the trace box, but not worry if I pick up bits of surrounding images.

Do the trace and detach thing, then you should be able to grab the piece you want and drag it out of the way and cut and paste it into a new document, then if you use the undo function on the original you can repeat with any other images you want.

When you have finished save your traced images and close the jpeg without saving, then it's still good if you want something else at a later date.

View Gallery

I'll give that a try but I quite like the cutting/separating process!! Sad or what?

Ruth

View Gallery

I'll give that a try but I quite like the cutting/separating process!! Sad or what?

Ruth
    Not sad at all, I like cutting out decoupage with scissors so does that make us both sad
    Last edited by Lucille; 10-03-2012 at 08:12 PM.