Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

Thread: cutting viynl

Distressed Divas, team leader : Red ribbon house xxkerryxx's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (2)

cutting viynl

Hi all,

I have had my craft robo 200-20 since 2006. I really havent used it much to be honest. I am wanting to cut some viynl, i want to make signs for hubbys van when he gets one advertising his business. And maybe a sign too for whilst he is actually working.

I found some viynl in the craft robo box. I had a little play with it, but struggled. it wasnt easy taking of the excess viynl around the letters. i had another go and cut it twice over which seemed to work a little better but still pulled some letters apart trying to seperate.

Am i doing something wrong or do u think i need new blades??

Also what is the best type of viynl to cut in a robo for use on cars/vans. And if anybody knows the best place to buy some as i have used my sheet out the box haha.
    KERRY
    Griffindor,Spade,Party Pudding, Comedy Kings
    Special Branch

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    Umm, could be that you aren't using the right pressure to cut the vinyl or it could be as you say your blade is getting blunt.

Have you tried doing test cuts to get the right pressure to cut the vinyl cleanly? I would start by using the default settings in the software, if it cuts through, but leaves really bad marks on the carrier sheet or cuts through the backing, reduce the pressure by 1 or 2 units and do another test cut.

If however it doesn't cut cleanly, increase the pressure by 1 unit and test again, repeat until you find the best pressure. The media settings in the software are only a guide, not all vinyl is the same, but you have to start somewhere.

Hopefully one of our vinyl cutting members will see this and advise about the best to use for vans etc.

Newbie Starter pack and cheat sheets here

Repeat after me "Google Is My Friend"

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    Like Lucille said maybe your blade is getting blunt as mine seems to cut it like a hot knife through butter....when I've cut vinyl I've taken the excess from around the image and then move it around in the light so I can see where the blade cuts are inside the letters and taken a sharp tool and picked them out, if I have had a problem with the letter breaking then I just go back into studio and make that letter a little wider so it wont break the next time.
    At the moment I am using Oracal....631 is for walls as it will come off without ruining the decor, 651 is more permanent for cups, dishes and bins etc and 751 is for cars although I have seen that some people have used 651 on cars and it has stayed there for years with no problems. I would google to find somewhere near you that sells vinyl as I would imagine all brands of vinyl would be just as good or go onto the auction sites...I hope you get sorted soon.
    Sue